Computer tune

RollinSidewayz

Mar 3, 2004
My car runs rough/can't hold an idle at startup in the morning, unless its a hot day. The condition is worse at colder temperatures. I had my mechanic check for vacuum leaks but nothing turned up, so it must be the cam. My question is, can I have my computer tuned/get a chip to better accept the cam or is this something that I am just going to have to put up with? And yes, I know that the cam is overkill for my setup but I am keeping it.

• Sponsors (?)

Hmmm, I had a very similar setup before, and it ran pretty good with the stock ecu. But it did have a hard time idling at the stock 675. After I got my TwEECer, I just jacked the idle to 950, no more problems. The B cam is a bit aggressive for a stock ecu, but shouldn't be too hard to manage.

A quality computer and dyno tune will run you around $500-700 and will likely give you the good manners and power you are seeking.

That said, first try to raise the idle using a FMS idle air adjustment plate. Mine has a warm idle around 1000 RPM after computer and dyno tuning. It's OK. The higher the powerband the cam is, the more likely that it will be a little "grumpy" at the stock idle setting. It just needs more airflow. Using your TB adjustment screw is a temporary solution, but it also effects your TPS voltage, so it's best to use the idle air adjustment plate between your IAB and TB. They're inexpensive and easy to use and install.