confirming steps for rear spring install

crazyone64

5 Year Member
May 2, 2018
Toronto Canada
Hi

I'm changing the rear springs on my 2003 mach1 and wanted to double check my plan.
I'm using 4 jacks, (two on the subframe and two on the rear diff tube)

1. Remove sway bar
2a. Remove brake line bracket to give more room if needed? 10mm
2b. Jack up lower control arm a bit and remove the bolt
2c. Check that brake lines do not get snagged
3. lower the jack which will lower the lca and take pressure off the spring
3b. do i need to undo the quad shock? Im guessing yes from vague memory.
4. Remove the old spring and install the new spring with new isolator, pigtail facing driver side.
5. Jack the lower control arm up and torque to 111ft lbs
6. Install sway bar at 41 ftlbs

• Sponsors (?)

Yes you need to remove the lower shock mount
You should not have to remove all the stuff you have listed
You jack it up by the frame after removing the shock lower mount and the spring will fall out
Just watch the brake lines and the axle vent tube as you go up
It should be all okay
If it does not fall out, just pull down on the tire some
Yes leave the tires on it if you can
Good luck

Yes you need to remove the lower shock mount
You should not have to remove all the stuff you have listed
You jack it up by the frame after removing the shock lower mount and the spring will fall out
Just watch the brake lines and the axle vent tube as you go up
It should be all okay
If it does not fall out, just pull down on the tire some
Yes leave the tires on it if you can
Good luck
Thank you for the reply, can you please confirm i understood that correctly with the new steps:

1. Jack up the frame where the shock and lca attach. Remove the lower shock bolt
2. Check that brake lines do not get snagged
3. lower the jack
4 push down on tire / remove quad shock if needed
4. Remove/Install spring.
5. Jack the frame up and install the lower shock bolt and quad shock if needed.

Next part i needed help with is the rear axle::
Right now i've got 2 jacks on the subframe and 2 on the rear diff axle tube, raised pretty high. (L & R)
If i'm working on the drivers side,, do i remove just the driver side axle jack, or both driver and passenger side jack.

It's easier to replace them both at the same time
So let both axle jacks down
Hi, i've got the car supported on jack stands at the sub frame.
On both Driver and Passenger side, i removed the lower shock bolt, removed the quad shock bolt but the spring doesn't fall out even if i push down on the rotor a bit.
What do you recommend next? The jack and jack stand aren't touching anything in the pic.
I'm guessing the LCA bolt has to be removed, if so any advice before i begin? only the back of the car is jacked up

Attachments

• 20220708_185040.jpg
    20220708_185040.jpg
    460.6 KB · Views: 63
  • 20220708_194007.jpg
    20220708_194007.jpg
    508.3 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Hi, i've got the car supported on jack stands at the sub frame.
On both Driver and Passenger side, i removed the lower shock bolt, removed the quad shock bolt but the spring doesn't fall out even if i push down on the rotor a bit.
What do you recommend next? The jack and jack stand aren't touching anything in the pic.
I'm guessing the LCA bolt has to be removed, if so any advice before i begin? only the back of the car is jacked up
When this has come up on Fox bodies, (pretty much the same suspension), raising the other wheel has allowed more cross articulation. It’s worth a try before pulling control arm bolts.

Reactions: 1 user
I have always supported the car on jack stands on the subframe (like you have) then let the axle hang. I do pull the tires (more access if needed). I undo the shock on the side I am working on (I don't have my quad shock anymore) with jack under the mount. I lower the jack and let droop. Usually a stock spring does not fall out so I use a pry bar to pop the bottom of the spring (not much spring pressure anymore at full droop). Once bottom is out the spring basically falls out.

I do the reverse with the spring going in. Install the upper end of spring in its pocket and use a pry bar or two to pop spring in its lower control seat.

SAFETY NOTE: Remember you are now inducing some stored energy into the spring. Be aware of your "line of fire" with your pry bars. If something slips there could be some kick back. It is not a problem if you are aware and thinking about it. It can just get a little frustrating.

I have always supported the car on jack stands on the subframe (like you have) then let the axle hang. I do pull the tires (more access if needed). I undo the shock on the side I am working on (I don't have my quad shock anymore) with jack under the mount. I lower the jack and let droop. Usually a stock spring does not fall out so I use a pry bar to pop the bottom of the spring (not much spring pressure anymore at full droop). Once bottom is out the spring basically falls out.

I do the reverse with the spring going in. Install the upper end of spring in its pocket and use a pry bar or two to pop spring in its lower control seat.

SAFETY NOTE: Remember you are now inducing some stored energy into the spring. Be aware of your "line of fire" with your pry bars. If something slips there could be some kick back. It is not a problem if you are aware and thinking about it. It can just get a little frustrating.
Thanks for the reply, did you remove the sway bar? If not I'm thinking the LCA bushings are holding it up in which case loosening the LCA bolts might help me.

If I remember right I didn't, but it would give some more flex. You would only need to undo one side.

If you loosen the LCA bolts, remember not to fully torque them until the car is back on the ground with the weight on it. Otherwise you can induce a bind that can effect the suspension and how it performs.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Main shocks, quad shocks and sway bar. Then you can articulate one side down at a time.

BTW are you removing OEM mach springs? If so I would hang onto those.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user
I placed my jack under the center of the rear-end. It lets you have a pivot point to get the springs in one at a time. Everything was disconnected. It takes a couple more minutes, but I was there anyway, and I'm not a fan of fast jobs - patience wins every time, plus I had a couple other things I wanted to replace while the car was in the "air". I should add the car was on jack stands at the torque boxes - strongest point...

One question, 'Did you replace the upper control arm bushings on the axle?'

A little late to the party, but I will give some input since I have done countless suspensions on foxes, and sn95/new edges. I have never disconnected the shocks or quad shocks.
Get the car on jack stands to have the rear in the air, take rear wheels off, slide the abs lines off the brackets, remove the sway bar, now pic a side to start, slide pump jack under the lower control arm, remove nut/bolt at the axle from the lower control arm, lower the control arm slowly, spring is now out. No need to take all that extra stuff out at all.