Coolant leak. Help me find it

DmnStr8

Apr 16, 2005
NH
Ok I just took the stang out of storage this week. Occasionally when driving I will notice that sweet smell of burning coolant. It would be quick and then I wouldn't smell it again for awhile. Seems to happen more when I really "get on her." Or after the car has idled to temp. Its always brief but noticible. Doesn't smell burnt, just evaporated.

I don't really have white smoke. Its still cold here so I have some but I don't notice it after the car fully warms up after I drive. Almost never see it in the rear view. When I first started her up in the garage I did notice some water spray on the garage floor from the exhaust. But I think that was more the result of condensation being blown out the back (it was 40 degrees out). No dripping water or anything. I could make more droplets by doing a raspberry 6" from the floor. I'm hoping that this means my head/intake gaskets are fine.

I did have a low coolant light but the radiator was full so I just topped the overflow off (it wasnt even that low) and it seems to be staying at a stable level. Figure if there is a leak its small.

The car stays at temp and while I'm using a stock gauge the needle rests where it always does when it warms up. I have heat amd I don't smell coolant with it on and my passanger side floor is dry. If my heater core is leaking it must be small I figure.

I can't see any stains on the radiator or its hoses. The t-stat was changed last october and I can't see any leaks around the gasket. I checked the oil and it looks like oil but I'm going to drain it to get a better look.

Anyway I figuire I have a small pinhole leak somewhere and that when I get on it the building pressure causes a fine mist to hit something hot and I smell coolant.

I thinking the radiator is the prime suspect but it looks fine. What should I do to look for leaks. Just have someone rev it while I peak under the hood? What else should I check in order to eliminate other possiable causes.

Thanks guys.

• Sponsors (?)

After the car is up to operating temp and the thermo opens up, turn the car off and get under the hood.
Look at the radiator, as a small leak can be along the sidewalls. Check all your hoses and clamps to and from the radiator to the water pump and the coolant lines along the block to the heater core.
There is a weep hole under the water pump, and as the bearing gets older, coolant will seep through this hole.
sounds like your coolant leaks and then dry's up before you see it, so it will take some investigation.