Coolant Leak I Can't Find

• Sponsors (?)

On the way home today I started leaking coolant. It's behind the intake, in the middle of the engine bay. I can't see it from the top. It's hissing and leaking down onto the bellhousing then onto the floor.

Any ideas?

@FoxMustangLvr @hoopty5.0 @karthief @tannerc91gt
Check where your heater hoses from the firewall connect to your heater pipe. There is two of them.

Reactions: 1 user
Sure it's not a freeze out plug on the back of the cylinder head?
I 100% believe it is a hose because when it's under pressure it sprays a small stream against the firewall. It leaked about a cup once I got it in the garage now it's not leaking at all. The top side of the heater hoses where they plug into the heater core look to be in good shape. Most of the other hoses had pin holes near an attachment points.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I 100% believe it is a hose because when it's under pressure it sprays a small stream against the firewall. It leaked about a cup once I got it in the garage now it's not leaking at all. The top side of the heater hoses where they plug into the heater core look to be in good shape. Most of the other hoses had pin holes near an attachment points.
If you are going to replace those hoses then make sure you use a hose tool to loosen the connection of the hose to the pipe. A lot of people try to muscle them off and end up breaking their heater core pipes at the firewall or you could slice them open with a razor blade and peel them off.
upload_2017-7-19_15-34-33.jpeg

Edit: Mine were leaking not too long ago. My hoses are brand new so all I had to do was just tighten the hose clamps just a bit more and the leak stopped.

Reactions: 1 users
go to autozone or advanced auto and for free rent a coolant pressure tester. Whn the car is cool, remove the cap, use the appropriate adapter and pump up the pressure to 16#.. If you have a leak you should see it fairly easy and the pressure will drop. If a small leak, the pressure will drop gradually over time. A normal cooling system should maintain the 16# for at least an hour with no drop in pressure.

If you have a leak in one of the small heater hoses going to the firewall or from the water pump to the intake, it is easier to use a razor blade and make a cut lengthwise to remove them, rather than try and pry them off. You won't risk breaking off the fittings that way and it is plain easier than wrangling them off in the tight quarters..

Reactions: 2 users
go to autozone or advanced auto and for free rent a coolant pressure tester. Whn the car is cool, remove the cap, use the appropriate adapter and pump up the pressure to 16#.. If you have a leak you should see it fairly easy and the pressure will drop. If a small leak, the pressure will drop gradually over time. A normal cooling system should maintain the 16# for at least an hour with no drop in pressure.

If you have a leak in one of the small heater hoses going to the firewall or from the water pump to the intake, it is easier to use a razor blade and make a cut lengthwise to remove them, rather than try and pry them off. You won't risk breaking off the fittings that way and it is plain easier than wrangling them off in the tight quarters..

Absolutely. Pressurize the system with a cold car so you can get your hands in there without burning them off. Always cut a hose off a heater core. Why would you try and save a hose you are going to replace anyway?

Kurt