Coolant Temp Guage Won't Work

So I bought a 1998 GT with about 88,500 miles on it about two months ago, everything was great for the first two weeks or so. I eventually began to notice a slight coolant leak coming from a small crack in the thermostat housing. I understand that it is a common failure point on these cars as the entire intake manifold is made of plastic, but being ignorant to that knowledge at the time I just decided to try to seal it using JB weld. I let it harden over night, and it seemed fine, but on my commute the next morning i guess the pressure built up or something and it basicallly shattered a big hole in the housing spraying coolant everywhere, i pulled over and took it home, luckily i wasnt very far and was able to get it home without overheating. I went to the junkyard and got a replacement manifold with the aluminum housing off of a crown vic, everything fit pretty well, didnt have to really move anything around but when i got everything back together i noticed the coolant temp guage wouldnt work, it stays below the cold mark all the time. The car seems to run well, i havent had any issues with it, no check engine lights or anything and before anyone asks i did put the thermostat back in and i replaced one of the coolant temp sensors, what could be the problem here???

• Sponsors (?)

Well.........

The 1996-1998 Mustang uses two coolant temperature sensors. One for the PCM and one for the dash. The signal of the two sensors are NOT compatible to each other. Are you sure the correct sensor for the application has been used?

What model year did the donor Crown Vic intake come from?

Do you have an ODB2 scanner? It would be handy to know what the PCM "thinks" the coolant temperature is.

Do you have a scanning infrared thermometer? Point it at the T-stat housing and compare the reading to the PCM reading?

Are you positive the T-stat was installed in the correct direction?