Engine Correct Throttle Cable For Carb'd 94?

GoldenEagle91

Dec 25, 2012
Hi everyone,

I referenced the thread on here regarding what is necessary for converting a fuel injected 94 Mustang with a 302 to a carbureted setup (see here 94-95 CARB SET-UP HELP!!!! | Mustang Forums at StangNet ). They mention that a throttle cable from a 79-85 work best (years that carbs were used). I found two different cables on National Parts Depot for the same year range but one is 2 inches shorter than the other and there is also a $20 difference between the two. Now, I don't want to have the cable where it is too short and is slightly pulling on the throttle all the time but I also don't want to have too much cable where there is almost a dead spot until all the slop is taken up. I don't know how much difference 2 inches will make for the cable but any input is appreciated.

Mustang CABLE ASSY ACCELERATOR PEDAL TO CARBURETOR | M-9A758-10B | NPD

Mustang CABLE ASSY ACCELERATOR PEDAL TO CARBURETOR | M-9A758-11B | NPD

Thanks,
Andrew

• Sponsors (?)

The overall length of the cable isn't really enough information to determine if you'll have too much or too little play - a lot depends on how the mounts are oriented. That may be a tough one to answer. If it were me, I'd just order both, and return the one I don't need.

This isn't too much of a common swap honestly - the reason being that it's a ton of time and expense to net zero additional horsepower (probably losing a bit and also losing some mpg while gaining emissions) and to take a step back about 20 years technologically. For less than $150 you can tune the EEC-IV all day long. To each their own, just something to think about.

The overall length of the cable isn't really enough information to determine if you'll have too much or too little play - a lot depends on how the mounts are oriented. That may be a tough one to answer. If it were me, I'd just order both, and return the one I don't need.

This isn't too much of a common swap honestly - the reason being that it's a ton of time and expense to net zero additional horsepower (probably losing a bit and also losing some mpg while gaining emissions) and to take a step back about 20 years technologically. For less than $150 you can tune the EEC-IV all day long. To each their own, just something to think about.

The engine was originally going to go into a 79' but it was stolen so that's why its a carbureted setup. It was also cheaper to build.