Couple of questions for u pros....lol

1994gtmustang5.0

Nov 25, 2012
Ok...i have a 94 gt 5.0...stock besides the cam, struts, sway bars, eibach lowering springs, control arms, hpipe, pro dumps and flowmaster tailpipes. Lol. Where should I go next? I wanna get some cobra rims, paint job, and some kind of air intake but not sure of the best models. Im low on cash having supporting two sons but do have extra money. I jus wanna give it more horsepower and looks without killing my pockets. Any advice I will listen too lol. Me and my buddy can do the work ourselves just not sure where to start. Lol thanks in advance

• Sponsors (?)

I'd have to agree with Vib on this one.
Do the rear gears to make the car fun to drive with it's current horsepower.
Get the paint job done and some wheels to make the car look nice.
A good looking car makes an owner proud and want to keep said car.
Save up for performance mods ("heads/cam/intake manifold" or "supercharger" or "both").
I included the cam as you'll probably want to get another camshaft that is designed to work with upgraded heads and intake manifold.
Headers shouldn't come into play unless you put some better breathing heads on your car.
Or, you can keep your engine the way it is and get a supercharger kit (kit includes fuel and timing upgrades to support the supercharger).
Good H/C/I parts and the fuel upgrades needed will cost about the same as a complete supercharger kit.
Or, do both and double your pleasure for double the cost....:rlaugh:
Or, you can go the turbo route.
The old saying, "You can have a car that is only 2 of these things: fast, cheap, reliable".

Besides the gear I would look at slightly used h/c/i combos or a supercharger. You might be able to get either for 1500 or so and install them and have something faster. I had a stock 5.0 with good sounding exhaust and I had a TFS top end 5.0 and they were like 2 completely different animals although they both sounded mean.

Gears make a night and day difference, just save some money if you can't install them yourself.

If you do not want a tubo/supercharger and want to do H/C/I, I'd do the heads and cam at the same time. Sure, the price may not be very appealing but the feeling when you put your foot down will be worth it.

If you want to save yourself some money, shop around in the classifieds here and other Mustang sites, as well as Craigslist, and you should be able to find what you need. As far as headers, go with long tubes and an H or Y pipe. I picked up a nice set of used BBK long tubes with an H pipe, then sandblasted and ceramic coated them myself for around $250 total.

3:73 gears. Save up for Induction- Edelbrock Performer Intake, 70MM Throttle Body.

Agree. The 3.73's would be fine if you're going to keep the engine naturally-aspirated but if you're thinking about adding forced induction in the future, it would be better to keep the stock 3.08's until you kow what your final engine combo is likely to be.

Gears. 3.73s will make a night-and-day difference.

Next, upgrade your front brakes.

THEN, if you still need more, go for engine work. I waffled quite a bit on the decision between HCI and blower. Had landed on a KB... but then my plans went in a totally new direction.

Don't spend a lot of money on an air intake-you won't notice much performance difference, and your money can be better spent. If you really want to do something with that, do the Home Depot CAI. Cheap, and gets you all the benefits of a fancy CAI at 10% of the cost.

Id also do the gears, it wont add power but will give the car an entire different feel...then under drive pullies, and save for a set of cylinder heads.....biggest bang will come from heads unless you add boost.

My suggestion: forget heads/cam/intake/exhaust/headers/gears.. In the end, this will all run you about the same price.

Go on ebay and find a "Boost Brothers" turbo kit. I just got one for $1200. Then you can get a Moates Quarterhorse [$200 used], 42# injectors [$150 used], a LMAF [$60], and a 255lph [$100]. You can get a boost gauge and Wideband O2 sensor also, up to you.

For around $2000 you will be near 500rwhp and adjustable with the boost pressure.

Gears cost around $200 [Plus $100 if you aren't comfortable with the install], an intake would be around $500, decent long tube headers around $500, etc... For the same price you can be producing a lot more power. Gears will be useless with a turbo because you'd probably run out of RPMs up high [or can be added later, depending on what you're looking to do]. Also, when adding an intake with the camshaft that you currently have, you should have a tune anyway, so either way you go, a Moates Quarterhorse is suggested. And you would probably need bigger injectors/fuel pump anyway!

Just my .02

Good luck!

3.73s and some under drive pulleys would be a great start , and if you do headers go long tubes
I'm gonna have to disagree with the gear thing. I too have a 95 gt w a fresh engine rebuild w stock heads and intake but w/ comp cam, making a whopping 209 rwhp. Everyone on forums was suggesting 3.73 gears so I got em. Nite and day difference, well yes, but still slow.. The nite and day difference w stock heads and intake is 1st gear is super short, you will run out of rpm's before you're making any speed, 2nd isn't much better. When cruising around on the highway in 5th the drone is an SOB, running like 2500 rpm at 70 mph. After I added the gears I headed to the 1/8th mile track thinking I got somethin' now, almost kept up w a neon srt but missed 3rd gear so we'll never know. But however don't think you're gonna get the gears and think man, I'm haulin ass now.. Nah just hittin the redline faster w the same ole horsepower your wallet can afford. One more thing, as for budget goes, yes the gears cost about $160 but it'll be around $400 or so for the install.

Oh one more thing, the 90lx that is pictured <------- has under drive pulleys, I bought them w/ the car so I can't say if they made any performance difference or not but I had to upgrade the alternator to make up for the slower belt speeds, (dim lights etc) but the 94 and up stangs alt's have more amps. But the bottom line is this, I don't think there really is a "bang for your buck mod." This old adage will always hold true, "you wanna go fast? How much money ya got??" So, bottom line is the mustang w/ the 302's need better cylinder heads to make power and that's gonna cost some dough.

Gears. 3.73s will make a night-and-day difference.

Next, upgrade your front brakes.

THEN, if you still need more, go for engine work. I waffled quite a bit on the decision between HCI and blower. Had landed on a KB... but then my plans went in a totally new direction.

Don't spend a lot of money on an air intake-you won't notice much performance difference, and your money can be better spent. If you really want to do something with that, do the Home Depot CAI. Cheap, and gets you all the benefits of a fancy CAI at 10% of the cost.
Ha I too did the home depot "cai" on the 90 lx, I used electrical conduit and a cone filter