Covering a deep paint scratch?

EpiKk3

Jun 4, 2004
As I washed my car today I noticed a scratch by my door.. turns out that at one point it goes all the way through down to the metal. I know this will rust out if I don't take care of it soon, but I'm not sure what would be the best bet as far as filling it or what not. Any suggestions? Thanks

(sadly, these show up every so often with no evidence as to where they've come from)
crapola

• Sponsors (?)

I have a tiny key mark on mine that's only down to primer, every bodyshop I've talked to says only way to fix it is by a respray in that area. You might want to try one of those new touch-up paints with the roller tip.

You can do it without repspraying the complete door..
This is what I've done and works damn well.. ( you really can not tell the area has been repaired)

Get the touch up paint for your color car ( the touch up paint from Ford is true and works well, although It's not cheap) What you do is, dab the paint in the recessed area, applying in layers, let dry between each until you have enough paint built up.. Let this completely dry and then wet sand the area around the sratch with 1200, working to 2000 grit. If you've wetsanded before you know to always keep the paper clean and wet.. Wetsand the area until you can not feel the filled area.. Buff area out and apply finishing polish. If done correctly, you will not even notice the repaired area.

Here is what I would do in your situation. Mask off an area about 12" by 12" with the scratch in the center. Sand about 1" around the scratch with 600 grit, fill the scratch hole with filler, let it dry, and sand it smooth. Then spray primer, then spray color. Don't spray any more that 6" around the affected area.

Once dry, you should see a difference in paint color w/ the new and the old. You need to wet sand the entrie 12" area with 1000, then 1500, then get a porter cable with polishing compound and buff the area. Then spray clear & buff that with a glaze then a wax.

Then unmask and buff the entire area with wax and see how it looks.
Scott

I'm a little scared of sanding my paint in all honesty =\ I'll see if I can't find something to try it on before I work on my car lol but thanks for the advice

EpiKk3 said:
I'm a little scared of sanding my paint in all honesty =\ I'll see if I can't find something to try it on before I work on my car lol but thanks for the advice

My only concern is the paint pen won't have any clear coat.

But if you use the pen, you can make it stick out past the paint, then wet sand it w/ 1000 then wet sand w/ 1500 until the area is perfectly smooth. Then buff and wax the area. If the job is done right, and the paint actually matches, you shouldn't be able to find the repair, even when you look really hard. But w/ the sun the surrounding area will look different.

I just hope the pen will fill the void. That is why I recommended respraying.

Wet sanding does not take off a lot of material, trust me. Even w/ 1000, it's still pretty slippery. If the sanding block starts to grab too hard, just add more water. That is the key, keeping the area wet and not sanding too much, or too little.
Scott