Engine Cracked intake manifold...

keel

Aug 23, 2020
Seattle, Wa
I was tightening a coolant temperature sensor when the intake manifold cracked. Can this be fixed with something like JB weld?
IMG_5882 Small.png

• Sponsors (?)

Gonna ask my friend if he can tig weld it, if he can't then I'm just gonna send it with JB weld and pray. It's a GT40 lower so I'm going to try my best to save it. Just wondering if anyone has done it before.

The best fix is to grind down in the crack and weld it up. Jb weld might not hold up over time. It'll also look like crap. To jb weld it properly you'd still have to grind the crack out to get more surface area for the epoxy. Actual welds hate JB weld. That stuff gets in the pores of the metal. Hope your buddy can fix it for you.

Reactions: 1 user
I did end up getting another one, I managed to find a decent deal on an upper and lower in my area. Decided that I would rather just bite the bullet and get that than to risk a failed repair and having to pull it back off to buy a new one anyway. Plan now is to just sell the cracked lower with an upper to someone more ambitious than I am for cheap as a fixer upper and recoup some of my money.

Last edited:
Same thing happened to me last week, changed the temperature sensor with a new one that I bought at LMR and crack!! Threads didn't even go all the way in the manifold and it cracked

Same thing happened to me last week, changed the temperature sensor with a new one that I bought at LMR and crack!! Threads didn't even go all the way in the manifold and it cracked
Yeah me as well it was probably less than 3/4 of the way in when the manifold let go. That feeling of dread when you hear that crack, haha. But I blame myself because I put some teflon tape on it and I think it was enough to widen the diameter of the threads on the sensor. That was an expensive lesson. I will only be using thread sealer from now on. :)

Reactions: 1 users
Remember that these are pipe thread fittings and they don’t require a lot of torque to seal up. The Teflon tape would have not caused the cracking. Driving the sensor too deep is what did that.

Yeah me as well it was probably less than 3/4 of the way in when the manifold let go. That feeling of dread when you hear that crack, haha. But I blame myself because I put some teflon tape on it and I think it was enough to widen the diameter of the threads on the sensor. That was an expensive lesson. I will only be using thread sealer from now on. :)
Lol , same here, my life flashed before my eyes when I heard the crack, couldn't believe it