Crappy Repair ,getting To Be The New Thing.

horse sence

15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Wile Coyote's stunt double
Lately it seems i have had to repair a lot of crappy repair work ...if you can even call it repairs. This was done buy a supposedly high quality repair shop,that i will not mention the name of .
The door post striker area was rusted clear through so, it Was fiberglassed over and packed with tiger hair ,the rust wasnt removed ,just glassed over and filled.
I saw a crack in the door jamb and after i hit it with a rubber hammer the whole thing broke out . Guys ,this type of thing will not work ,the rust has to be removed by either cutting it away or at the least sand blasted ,replacing is way better . Fiberglassing over will not work ,Please dont do like Bobby bondo did on this 67 :doh:
20170722_073227.jpg
20170722_073220.jpg
20170722_073327.jpg
20170722_073611.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

@horse sence
Oh, my, I may be giving up TMI too early on. Long ago, when I scrapped the old '58 T-Bird in around 1970, I bought a '67 Mustang, 289, C-4, from a guy, and commenced to put the old boat-anchor 352 in it with the big iron Cruise-O-Matic. Knew Ford was offering the big-block first time in '67, so fit wasn't a problem. There was a small hitch, though: they had changed exhaust manifold bolt positions from vertically in-line to staggered, but for the life of me I can't remember why that was an issue.........gettin' old. imp

The 390 gt manifolds were a bit flater to the head and the new bolt patern allowed the manifold to clear the towers ,with no bottom bolt there was nothing to hit the tower ,the bolts were moved horizontal but kept the top bolt in the middle ports so now you had 3 bolts ,they had 4 bolts at the end ports .the bolt patern can be drilled in the two bolt heads though.

Not just crappy work, crappy service. Im picky about who touches my cars and ive always had good luck w wheelworks/tires plus. I tried a diff one closer to home to have my kit car aligned. Waited 3 hours then they call me and say it needs new inner tie rods and wheel bearnings. Im leaving my next stop and I see what looks like spots of white paint on my lower bumper scoop. I get close and the whole things cracked, fiberglass sticking out is the white stuff. I call the place and they manager just says go get an estimate. I remember while I was waiting hearing the guy rev the hell out of it and burning the clutch. 1st is kinda hard to find so I thought he had it in 2nd getting it up the ramp. The turd was driving the car into the ramp! Its 7" off the ground in the front not super low. Anywho its been 5 weeks now getting jerked around from the manager so i called corporate and an adjuster is suppossed to be out soon. And to top it off the inners and wheel bearing were fine but theres busted ball joints lol durrrrrrr

shem

I feel your frustration. We probably all have experienced crap like that. Hard to find a good shop. I had a great experience this summer. I did a front end total rebuild with new control arms, shocks, coil springs and strut rod, new mid eye leaf springs and new Wilwood 4 piston front discs with a rebuild of the rear drums on my 68 Fastback. I made a feeble effort to do the work myself but decided it was beyond my abilities. Fortunately I have a shop that I know the owner. They did an excellent job and worked real hard to sort out the issues. And there were issues. I feel real lucky to know these guys. I put performance coil springs on the front, then they had to cut 1/2 of a coil off to lower it to make it match the rear end drop from the mid eye leafs. This whole project could have been a disaster especially when I discovered that the front tires rubbed the fender when I hit a dip in the road on the way to a car show. He swapped out my front tires with narrower tires. All is well and I am quite happy. My Mustang handles better than ever.

I once did a disc brake for drum swap which required making tapered sleeves to allow the smaller ball joint studs to fit good and tight in the new steering knuckles. The knuckles and discs came off a late '60s GT-500, went into my little '65!
It's been a long run, I gotta say! imp