Curious about blowers and brakes.

LaserSVT

Got FB banned again for saying nards
Founding Member
Nov 29, 1999
I see the aftermarket has really embraced the SN197s and there are some nice parts out there :nice:

I was curious about two of them. I see for $700 you can get the GT500 brakes! 4-piston Brembos for $700 sounds like a deal to me! Anyone have them and how do you like them? Any issues?

The other thing is the new Eddelbrock blower kit. Anyone have one yet? If it can supply that much volume at 5 psi to make such great numbers then with some forged internals and 12 psi you could see 700+ rwhp on these things! :eek: How are the 3V blocks? Can they handle that?

Sorry for all the questions but I would like to learn more about the SN197s :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

HeavyGT just got the GT500 brakes. We are waiting for him to update us on how well they work. The only issue I know he had was rim clearance. Thats why those rims will soon find their way onto my car.:nice:

I think people are waiting to see how well the Edelbrock kit works before they start buying them(I've heard some guys are having some issues with them, not sure what though). The general concensus here is to go with a Kenne Bell, Whipple, or Roush TVS for big power numbers. These blowers will more than outpower the stock internals on these motors.

The blocks are plenty strong (capable of handling 700 or more hp) but the rods and pistons are the weak link. Lots of guys running around 500hp on stock internals but that seems to be very close to the breaking point.

The other thing is the new Eddelbrock blower kit. Anyone have one yet? If it can supply that much volume at 5 psi to make such great numbers then with some forged internals and 12 psi you could see 700+ rwhp on these things! :eek: How are the 3V blocks? Can they handle that?

I've seen an Edelbrock E-Force on an '06 GT at our local dyno shop. It put down 400+ rwhp with the standard pulley & air box (engine was otherwise stock). However, it was pushing a little over 7 psi, not the 5 psi that it is claimed to run. That makes the hp less amazing, IMO. Nice set up, though, that runs very cool - even with the smaller pulley sizes.

Stock 3V can handle a lot of power (at least 450 rwhp), but only if safely tuned.

Great info so far! Was curious how true the S/C claim was. Looks like a nice unit but I wondered how it compared to other positive displacment S/C's out. It sure seems expensive at $5800, are the Whipple kits cheaper with a cooler?

Also, being that psi is a measure of restiction, what were the other mods on the car? I could see 2 less psi and 30+ more RWHP if the had a full exhaust and long tubes. Do you know what that test car had on it?

I have also heard that the GT500 brakes can fail their piston seals if you track raced it due to excessive heat and that the seals are not replaceable. Is this true? :scratch:

Great info so far! Was curious how true the S/C claim was. Looks like a nice unit but I wondered how it compared to other positive displacment S/C's out. It sure seems expensive at $5800, are the Whipple kits cheaper with a cooler?

Also, being that psi is a measure of restiction, what were the other mods on the car? I could see 2 less psi and 30+ more RWHP if the had a full exhaust and long tubes. Do you know what that test car had on it?

I have also heard that the GT500 brakes can fail their piston seals if you track raced it due to excessive heat and that the seals are not replaceable. Is this true? :scratch:

The stock exhaust is actually very good. You won't see huge gains by going aftermarket. Once again most any twinscrew will blow up the stock motor with no outside help adding power. Changing the exhaust is more for sound than big power gains. I've heard LTs are good for a few hp but I have yet to see a dyno graph to back that up.

The stock exhaust is actually very good. You won't see huge gains by going aftermarket. Once again most any twinscrew will blow up the stock motor with no outside help adding power. Changing the exhaust is more for sound than big power gains. I've heard LTs are good for a few hp but I have yet to see a dyno graph to back that up.

Well... I've seen quite a few people with long tubes, aftermarket h pipe and aftermarket mufflers make some significant gains once going F/I.

This is a good example:
Stock exhaust - 10 psi ~ 450 hp
Aftermarket exhaust - 8.5 psi ~ 462 hp

With less back pressure the engine runs at a lower psi without a pulley change...!!! :eek: :)

I went with the Whipple HO kit last year at 10psi and really enjoyed it. The kit was time-consuming to install but not difficult and was very complete. The only issue I had with the Whipple was the 6-rib drive. I never had any trouble with it but never really trusted it either.

I also found that the stock brakes weren't very good especially after going FI.

This year I decided to upgrade the engine including adding the new Steeda 10-rib drive. I also did the Baer 6P brakes. The brakes are pricey but are very nice. Some pics/videos of the new setup are near the bottom of the following thread:

http://forums.stangnet.com/788201-spring-2009-build.html

I wouldn't hesitate to go with another Whipple.

I went with the Whipple HO kit last year at 10psi and really enjoyed it. The kit was time-consuming to install but not difficult and was very complete. The only issue I had with the Whipple was the 6-rib drive. I never had any trouble with it but never really trusted it either.

I also found that the stock brakes weren't very good especially after going FI.

This year I decided to upgrade the engine including adding the new Steeda 10-rib drive. I also did the Baer 6P brakes. The brakes are pricey but are very nice. Some pics/videos of the new setup are near the bottom of the following thread:

http://forums.stangnet.com/788201-spring-2009-build.html

I wouldn't hesitate to go with another Whipple.

The stock brakes are inadequate PERIOD.

Well... I've seen quite a few people with long tubes, aftermarket h pipe and aftermarket mufflers make some significant gains once going F/I.

This is a good example:
Stock exhaust - 10 psi ~ 450 hp
Aftermarket exhaust - 8.5 psi ~ 462 hp

With less back pressure the engine runs at a lower psi without a pulley change...!!! :eek: :)

I understand it lower manifold pressure and makes more power but is the 1000+ dollars for an aftermarket exhaust system to get 12 extra hp really worth it on a street car? I wouldn't call that significant enough to justify the price.

I understand it lower manifold pressure and makes more power but is the 1000+ dollars for an aftermarket exhaust system to get 12 extra hp really worth it on a street car? I wouldn't call that significant enough to justify the price.

Oh no doubt! I totally agree with you. :nice: The stock system is more than adequate.

Pretty much what it comes down to is sound! Once you've done everything else but exhaust, why not, you know? :p

The 12 hp was just an example :rlaugh:... I've seen people gain 44+ rwhp with Kooks LTs (& appropriate tune) alone! Lowering the manifold pressure could also let you bump up the boost a little and add some more HP without bending a rod! :D

I do agree that as far as your average person goes, exhaust changes aren't too useful. Unless you know what you're doing, that is! ;)

I like my GT500 brakes, no issues and that is with track time braking from 130mph down to 50-60 mph three times a lap plus 11 other turns. The only downside I see is the pad selection is limited. Check out Hawk or EBC