Damn ice storm and vinyle top.

MustangLX99

Fondling Member
Founding Member
Sep 17, 1999
Hell's Outhouse, Ohio
Our convertible was a victim of our ice storm through Ohio. It's a vinyle type top. I have about 3/4-1 inch of ice on the top. Do yall know of any way to safely remove the ice without damaging the top? I'm scared as hell to drive it for fear of hitting a bump and cracking the ice causing it to shatter or crack the top due to the temperature.

:bang:

• Sponsors (?)

Aww you got to enjoy the great weather here in Ohio too. Ice and snow everywhere. I hate this weather and i can't wait till spring, As far as your top goes you might have to let the car run with the heater on high for awhile to melt the ice off. :uzi: Winter

Running the car for a while is an excellent idea, since it is getting warmer....Gonna be 53 on Friday!.......Or what I do is lightly tap the ice with a scraper, and it cracks off, and most lifts off....thats what worked the best for tonneau (sp?) covers, which are vinyle, but also stronger i guess.

congratulations, i was awaiting the arrival of the first mustang hardtop convertible!!!

LOL, don't even get me started on that one. I've looked high and low for a hardtop for 87-93 and none are to be found. I've been designing two, a one piece and a two piece with removable rear window, to use in place of the standard vinyle top. It'll be fiberglass with insulation and headliner. I have a local bodyshop that is willing to do the fiberglass and gelcoat work.

Running the car for a while is an excellent idea, since it is getting warmer....Gonna be 53 on Friday!.......Or what I do is lightly tap the ice with a scraper, and it cracks off, and most lifts off....thats what worked the best for tonneau (sp?) covers, which are vinyle, but also stronger i guess.

Unfortunatly, I don't have a working heater in it either. The damn thing costs to much to fix for us at the moment also. I did move it out in the sun this morning though. The black top heated up really well even under the ice and melted the bottom layer loose enough take it off in "plates" after carefully cracking it as you suggested. Thanks for the help. :D Look like I need to get something to cover the roof at least the next time we have this crap.

:uzi: Did I mention I hate this damn ice? I'll be glad when we actually have power on a regular basis after all the stuff thaws out. Our power line guys deserve alot of credit for all the hard work they are doing to get us back online. Damn hard working guys if ya ask me.

:nice: