Decision Time - Full Floors or Long Pans

palerider94

Feb 21, 2006
Got my floors cut out and just need to finish driver side rocker and torque box. Debating on whether I should go full floors or put in long pans. I've already have the long pans but got a major case of while I'm at. I'm replaceing the firewall cause I did not want to patch it up. The cost of the full pans are expensive once you add truck freight. Not going to be a trailer queen just a high end weekend driver. Decisions Decisions..

Also how do you change the title - spelling is horrendous

• Sponsors (?)

There's a lot less welding involved in the full floor, and you get better results.

JS4432.jpg

Trans tunnel is okay. I chewed it up a little taking out the seat paltform.

BTW 2+2GT You gave me some advice on putting car on a jig. That was spot on. It has helped immensley in keeping things lined up. Since I went this far - I'm leaning heavily on full pan.

I had the same choice and went with the full floor plan.
Their are pro's and cons to both. The full floor plan did not fit well. It was not wide enough (do a search and you'll see it is common problem). I cut the flange off the long pans and used that to make up the difference. Also the area around the rear torque box and wheel wells was terrible. I had to fabricate and extention to get it to reach the PS wheel well. Also around the front crossmember it took a lot of beating to get contact so I could weld it. On the pro side it looks nice when all installed. Be prepared to do a lot of rossette welds.

On the other hand - I've yet to weld new metal to old metal without blowing holes in the old metal and then chasing them; so that presents another issue if you install the long pans.

There is an old saying to only replace the metal you need to..now I know why!

In the end, either way you will be swearing and swinging a big hammer

Extension fit up
100_3689.jpg

Installed - notice around the front crossmember I needed to "stretch the metel to get contact
100_3771.jpg

Good luck

The one in the photo was a bit narrow when pre-fitted. They bent the tunnel wider to stock dimensions, laid it in and clamped it down, no more problem.

JS4414.jpg

I tried that too, but it made the gap area around the front cross member even worse than it already was and it wouldn't line up with the hump on the firewall. Ultimately, when I pulled it down with sheet metal screws the gap came back.

Well almost done. Was not too bad. No swearing or big hammer. Did not need to stretch metal. Around wheel wells not too good. But overall happy with results and glad I went with full floor.

On another note. Is there another way to post pics w/o running into site limits all the time?

Attachments

• before.JPG
    before.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 101
  • after.JPG
    after.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 115
Looks great!

The easiest way to deal with pics is to put them on Photobucket or one of the other image hosting sites, then just post the pics here. They even give you something to copy that will put the pic in your posts on forums like this.

Pretty much like you did on extension fit up - just after the fact. Will use some cardboard as a template. I think the full floor and long pans have the same issue. I bought long pans thinking I would go that route - they had same fitment problem.

Nice job!!
Glad it went in easier for you than mine did.
How are you going to deal with the wheel wells?

Thanks. Will fab around wheel wells - pretty much like you did on extension fit up - just after the fact. Will use some cardboard as a template. I think the full floor and long pans have the same issue. I bought long pans thinking I would go that route - they had same fitment problem.