Decisions, Decisions...

mattmm04

Apr 21, 2019
Virginia
So I'll get straight to the point... I've bought a 98 gt in early January with engine knocking bad on the bottom end. Shopped around and found a used 2000 gt engine and dropped it in. Had a few hiccups along the way but have everything straight and running good and enjoy driving it around...

Now my crossroad is where do I go next.. The body is in fair shape but needs some attention cosmetically like front fenders need replacement and need a new hood as the previous owner put some god awful purple paint on the hood, spoiler, and the trim around the brake lights. I sanded all the purple off the hood and rattle canned the hood black. Even though it was spray can it's much better than the purple. But cosmetically speaking it's going to cost more than I'm wanting to spend at the moment to have a true paint job plus needing new fenders and hood and have a little rust above the rear wheel on the driver side making it kind of a forethought at this time

I'm debating getting a tuner though I'm basically stock with just a cai and some flow master mufflers. Or I found some 2001 cobra c heads used with the cobra intake for around the same price but would require pulling the engine again but I would feel would be worth the work. I've heard some modifications would be needed to make those work. Or I've found some nice cobra r's staggered which would make it look much nicer even with the cosmetic issues.

Opinions on which would be the way to go?.....

• Sponsors (?)

Whats you budget?
I'm not sure. Not going for anything serious like boost at the moment. I've found a set of c heads with a intake manifold for $350 versus going boost which would cost more with upgrades needed for the internals. I want to get it looking good also. So would I be good with getting the c heads and doing the swap which I've read takes a few mods and some time to do the swap while piecing the body back together or get a tuner while piecing the body back together? My intentions are to bring the body back to life before going into making power adders to the engine. Basically I'm just looking for input if C heads are worth it or just get a tuner and wait till later to make engine mods

Well I have a 2000 engine but I get mixed reviews from different people. Some say 4v swaps are worth it and some say it’s not worth the effort. I don’t want to pass on these heads if it’s a good decision to roll with at a later time but don’t want to buy them and more or less just paper weights hanging around.

I ended up buying a bama tuner yesterday since it was a good deal along with a SVE 75mm throttle body and plenum. So I guess my original plan has changed from tuner or c heads to... c heads or 3.73 gears? 99% of the time I do my own work but the rear end would require a press which I don’t have nor a lift that would make the job more pleasant. I found a set of ford racing 3.73 for a super good deal and read it would be a different car afterwards which I know these 4.6s take a bit to get them spinning.

What do you think?

I’ve swapped out the dented front fenders and sanded and rattle canned the hood that use to be a horrible purple and swapped in some one piece headlights. A complete paint job is still off in the distance since the hood has major dips in it from the previous owner trying to sand the purple off and made some dips in the fiberglass. I really want this thing to get moving a little quicker off the line so to speak enough to satisfy myself to get the car straightened up and painted

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    420.1 KB · Views: 186
The 3.73's will definitely help with getting off the line. That will be a nice addition. The body of the car appears to be in really good shape. Once you get all the dings and scratches out and ready to paint it will look nice. It already looks pretty nice as is. Which heads did you say you were looking at?