Definitely time for heads!!!!

grey5.0beast

Cookies should never be DUNKED!!!
Aug 3, 2004
atl ga
So the other day I started my car up after 7th period so it could warm up and the smell of gas was just overwhelming. I got out and white-ish smoke was pouring out of my exhaust(weird I know, considering white usually means antifreeze, but it wasn't).

I figure a few of my valves are toast so I did the dollar bill thing I heard on here a few days ago and it actually pulled my paper backwards every few lopes...

SOOOOOO.... The guy I was supposed to buy heads from last week backed out so I am now looking at some Patriot Performance SBF heads. I did some research and they are made in china for Patriot, who then CNC ports them and completes them.

Not bad for 895...

• Sponsors (?)

why spend 900 on a set of chineese heads when you can get a set of trickflows for that or even a set of eddys.
I just picked up a set of eddys for 650 with 1.6 rr off the corral. and they are the performer rpms with the 2.02 vavles and converted to stud mount

AFR bought a set of patroits and tested them
Originally Posted by Jason@AFR
Hey Guys,

Tony Mamo (The head of our R&D Dept.) wanted to come on here personally but is buried right now trying to tie up some loose ends before the long Holiday weekend. He may hop on here over the next few days.

We recently ordered a set of the new Patriot heads (under an alias of course) to make sure we received a true production piece (like any of you would be likely to receive).

While not terrible for the money, trying to compare them to a fully CNC ported premium AFR piece is a bit of a stretch. The heads were not deburred very well and you can see heavy machining marks on most of the surfaces, the as cast ports were not in line with the valvejob leaving large sharp steps on the seat ring, and they are assembled with un-concentric stamped steel locks I would be leary to run personally.

IMO, these heads should be marketed as exactly what they are….a good inexpensive option to sinking a bunch of money in a stock casting and would provide a nice increase in performance right out of the box. They shouldn't be expected to flow or make as much power as a fully CNC piece from AFR with a lot more time invested in the end product. Its apples and oranges….let's compare an AFR to another premium full CNC piece and we would have a more interesting conversation. BTW, this head was an obvious "as cast" copy of our 185 head as pictures of both our products side by side would easily show. I may post a few pics early next week after the long weekend.

Here were the flow numbers off our equipment using a Brezenski radiused entry on the inlet side and the same flowtube we use on all our SBF / SBC testing on the exhaust. By the way our advertised data on our 185 exhaust is old and doesn't reflect the addition of a flowtube which adds 10-15 CFM across the board. Tony is going to flow a 185 production part early next week to provide a good comparison. In the mean time I have included info from a 165 head we spot flowed a few weeks ago….note this head only has a 1.900 intake valve.

Patriot 185 (as cast)

Lift…INT / EXH

.200" 141 / 91
.300" 194 / 131
.400" 218 / 159
.500" 233 / 169
.600" 245 / 175

(Yes the exhaust numbers are correlated with the right valve lift).

AFR 165 (100% CNC)
Lift…INT / EXH
.200" 133 / 122
.300” 190 / 162
.400” 230 / 189
.500” 248 / 198
.600” 254 / 205

Im sure this is going to be a controversial post but it is what it is….

Happy Holidays!
Jason Dow

PS….Gunnar, Tony told me to tell you to feel free to contact him about the flow testing if you are questioning anything.

link

fwiw, I got twisted wedges.

Well here is the deal, I don't want to throw money into a crap head, nor an iron head so pretty much I am looking at either these or a few sets off the coral. I found some AFR165s I might go with or some twisted wedges. It all depends on what is available in a few weeks when I get some cash

I'd basically pick up a set of used AFR, Trick Flow, or Edelbrock heads and be done with it. I scored my new style Eddy RPM's for $650 and couldn't be happier. I had new seals put in right away and had new valve springs installed (would have needed them with the cam I chose anyway). Keep in mind that you will probably want to have a machine shop look any used heads over before they go on.

I don't want to throw money into a crap head

Then do it right the first time. If you don't have the money, save. It will be much cheaper in the long run than at some future date when you will inevitably sell the **** heads and buy another set. No one ever thinks that will be them, and it happens to almost every last person who buys parts because of their "right now budget".

Get the patriots. If the guy from afr says its a good head that is all you need to hear. He said the need debured and to change the locks. You can do both. Just because it's new dosen't make it bad. There are a lot of sheep on here that only follow. Dammit be a leader! I don't know where 5speedsteed saw 225 after core for thumpers. His website clearly states $595 plus core. Thats just my two cents. Im sure people will say my opinion sucks. Thats fine, im sure they are part of said herd.:D :hide: ( flame suit on)

I am seriously thinking about these instead of rebuilding my 74 casting heads for my 351 build. At this point I am looking at having my heads studded, new springs, valves, guids and seals. For another 3-400 I could get these heads and have a much better flowing head before any port work.