Definitive Answer On Spring Installation?

89MustangGX

I have nothing productive to add!
Jul 3, 2001
Mill Creek, WA
Getting ready -- I'm thinking I will be getting the rest of the rear back in tonight, so I'm looking for info on the springs. I'm reusing my stock rear springs from my 87 car.

I have heard that installing them in a certain direction can increase the clearance height -- also heard that doing it can cause them to sit too low.

I'm looking for the definitive answer on which direction the pigtail at the bottom of the spring should face for what setup (stock height, more clearance, etc.)??? [Yes -- I should remember how they are stock from when I took them off, but I don't!]

I think the easiest way to discuss would be to talk about which direction the very end of the pigtail (meaning the very end of the wound spring) should face to avoid any confusion. Or please specify exactly what you mean if you want to talk about them differently.

Thanks for quick answers!

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

It should face the front.

WHen you are ready to put the spring in, it should be pretty obvious which was you should put the pigtail. It's half a coil so it sticks down slightly more. SInce the control arm will be hanging down, you want the part sticking down the most to be towards the rear of the car.

You'll see what i mean

Thanks Mike for the reply...it may very well pop right out at me - but I want everything to go smooth just in case! Now I had thought and swear I've heard the ends of the springs -- meaning the very end are supposed to point to the driver's side. You are saying now to point them toward the front or are we talking different?

Thanks!

Thanks for the confirmation -- not too late, I still have to put the uppers in and maneuver the rear axle back into place.

BTW -- any idea about getting more height out of the springs ... it sounds like installing them the opposite way (facing right) would do it, but not sure if they would sit right or not.

I don't think it really matters in this case about the ride height -- I'm using all spherical bearings except for the lower axle side -- but I suppose I'll do it anyway!

89MustangGX said:
Thanks for the confirmation -- not too late, I still have to put the uppers in and maneuver the rear axle back into place.

BTW -- any idea about getting more height out of the springs ... it sounds like installing them the opposite way (facing right) would do it, but not sure if they would sit right or not.

I don't think it really matters in this case about the ride height -- I'm using all spherical bearings except for the lower axle side -- but I suppose I'll do it anyway!

hehe hey again 89MustangGX, I did the springs when I did the control arms and in the steeda springs instructions it says to face the end of the pigtail towards the drivers side of the car like everyone else said. I don't know if I would install it any other way because it might not function correctly.

K.C.90gt said:
hehe hey again 89MustangGX, I did the springs when I did the control arms and in the steeda springs instructions it says to face the end of the pigtail towards the drivers side of the car like everyone else said. I don't know if I would install it any other way because it might not function correctly.

Thanks again!

Well, I put everything together tonight...I still wasn't perfectly clear by looking at the springs if there was a certain way -- so I installed them pointing to what I think is the driver's side. Basically if the end of the pigtail were to extend in a straight line -- they would be shooting over towards that side of the car...I hope that's right!

I suppose I'll find out when I get the car back on the ground.

89MustangGX said:
Well, I put everything together tonight...I still wasn't perfectly clear by looking at the springs if there was a certain way -- so I installed them pointing to what I think is the driver's side. Basically if the end of the pigtail were to extend in a straight line -- they would be shooting over towards that side of the car...I hope that's right!

I suppose I'll find out when I get the car back on the ground.

yes that's the way it should be.

You did install them right :nice: Just an FYI, installing the rear coil springs with the pigtail facing to the passenger side of the car will cause premature wear of the spring insulator and puts undue stress on the spring. The majority of the (rear) vehicle weight is supported by the front of the very bottom coil of the rear springs where it makes the most contact with the LCA due to the fox mustang's rear suspension geometry. By having the pigtail face the passenger side, the majority of that weight would be resting on that pigtail and is just not safe. If you take a look at it you'd see what I mean. This is also why our cars chew up rear coil spring insulators (mine were completely split so the spring was actually sitting on the lower control arm, making metal to metal contact. And I wondered why it was squeaky :rolleyes:

Good info -- I'm glad I decided not to go that way...not that it would be that bad to switch them again anyway after I've just done it. I ended up putting some poly isolators in -- maybe that will give me a little extra clearance? Anyway, all looks good so far -- thanks again!

Hey guys good info! I'm installing my H&R supersport springs soon, how long will it take, and what is the toughest part? I'm doing it with a jack and stands. no lift access, but if i did have access to a lift it would only be for 1 hr, anyone have any idea ? I have replaced struts and shocks on my stangs but never the springs, what tools etc...???