Degreeing NPI Comp Cams?

sneaky98gt

10 Year Member
Apr 23, 2008
NC State University
I finally picked up a set of Comp XE268H cams; planning on getting them in over Easter break here in a couple a weeks. I was wondering about whether or not I should degree them. I plan on just swapping them in using the method that doesn't require the removal of the timing cover. I've read a couple a things about people not degreeing them, having no problems, and loving it. Then I hear other people that wouldn't even install a new cam without degreeing them in.

So is it really worth the $150+ extra to get the adjustable cam gears and degree the cams, for an extra 5-10 hp? Can you degree them in without adjustable cam gears? Or can a shop do it somehow without having to buy the adjustable cam gears? Any advice is appreciated.

And also, I'm thinking about getting my car dynoed over at Top Speed Performance in Greenville, NC after my cam swap. They're only a few minutes from where I live, and I've heard some good things about them from a few people. Has anyone on here heard anything about them, or had any experience with them? Thanks.

-Will

• Sponsors (?)

I had a friend who did the same cam in his 98 and didn't have any issues with PTV. He did have idle issues until it was tuned and it took a while for them to get the tune right. Afterward everything was golden. I haven't heard any NPI cars having problems when not degreeing them.

Personally, the 2 cams I would drop in is the stock NPI cam or the stock PI cam. Every other 2V cam, I would degree in. You will get the best performance and know exactly where your cam is( Cam Timing ). The car will be easier to tune as well, especially the idle.

I degreed in my cams and the car idles/revs/accelerates so much more smooth than before.

My stock crank timing gear was out 3 degrees, driver's gear was about 1 - 2 degrees out and the passenger was out 3 degrees.

So, in total I was out 4-5 on the passengers side and 6 on the driver's side.

Riley