Dent repair with dry ice. Watch this.

• Sponsors (?)

well i've taken a lot of college science/ physics courses, ( and still doing so) and there is SOME logic to this claim. i am also a 2nd year welder, and have used this trick (not with dry ice though) to shape metal and free stuck bolts/ hinges etc. As for this particular application, .... not so sure. im sure a lot of u already know that metal contracts when cold, and expands when hot. i really don't think making the metal in the dent cold will have a strong enough effect to cause it to pop back into shape. personally, i think if application of dry ice were be able to do this, a suction-type dent puller would be just as, if not more, effective. I also notice they didn't show the dent popping out. It was a cut camera shot. Who knows how it came back out! i dont put much faith in this video. i also have a feeling that the dry ice may damage the paint. if it was me, i'd try some other options first.

I have tried this, really small dents come out, but it really is not effective, it is time consuming and a suction or epoxy based puller works far better.

I've got some small dents I'd like repair. Some have mentioned suction pullers. Is it something a non body man can do fairly easily without damaging the paint? What do I need exactly and how do I go about doing it? Thanks.

a suction puller is nothing more than a suction cup with a handle. they work best on depressions where the metal isnt creased. anyone can do this and it is amazing what they can pull out. a toilet plunger works great also and almost everyone has one in their house. wash the area down first so the surface is nice and slick put that bad boy on there and go to town.

If you use heat and cold you can get the molecules in the steel to form back into its original form. But you have to be really really really careful. I could see how the dry ice is making the steel super cold and makes it shrink back into place.

Its not BS, I seen this trick on a tv show a few years ago. I think it was on beakmans world or one of those science shows. I do remember seeing this though, so its not BS. Does it work 100% who knows, but it does have some effect.

think you I can pull out little nickel sized door dings with a suction puller? i have one thats like 4" dia "glass suction cup" i think. has some good pull to it. I just didnt know if it would pull such a small ding

think you I can pull out little nickel sized door dings with a suction puller? i have one thats like 4" dia "glass suction cup" i think. has some good pull to it. I just didnt know if it would pull such a small ding

only 1 way to find out, if it is creased I doubt it is going to pop out.

Might be easier to pull the door panel off and pop if back out from the inside.