Diablosport predator tuning

mrrob96fs

Sep 27, 2007
San Jose, CA
Ok I know it isn't the first choice for tuning heavily modded terminators... the xcalibrator is, but before I plunk down a lot more cash I'm going to see what I can do with the predator. :shrug:

I have some stuff done to the car, namely 2.76 upper, wide oval throttle body/plenum, stage iv stieg port, exhaust, steeda cai, ngk iridium plugs gapped at .038. I have heard some guys having spark blow out problems with this gap and lots of boost but that is a different problem.

My question is, anyone have experience with the predator? I am going to tune the car myself before it sees a tune shop next week just to make sure the AFR is kosher and put some advance on her(19* max I think since I can only get 91 octane thanks to the People's Republik of Kalifornia). The problem is, when I go to modify diablosport's tune... the advance is in %:mad: Anyone have any idea what this is % of??? Is this % of 360 degrees, or % of the stock advance, or % of their tune?? Of course there is no help in their manual or website... so does anyone know about these things? The fuel will be easy seeing as I have a wideband and I'm going to put her in the neighborhood of 11.8:1.

Any input is appreciated.... unless its input like "Buy an xcalibrator!" Which I am going to do if this thing turns out like crap.

On a side note, anyone heard of anything bad about running too rich? Besides typical stuff like fouling plugs and the sort? Before I got the wideband I enriched the mixture a TON to make sure I wasn't running lean and I notice a bit of a chug in her at a steady low RPM. :(

Thanks guys.

• Sponsors (?)

First off the Predator or Xcal are not the optimum choice for tuning your car. They weren't designed to be the sole modification device for a cars tune, when it's heavily modified as your will be. They are handheld units and can only do so much. How do you plan on changing the AFR with the Predator? I know there's adjustments, but do you have your own wide band in the car so you know whether you need to increase or decrease the AF ratio's???

I own a Predator myself, but I only use it at as transfer device. The tuner creates a tune, emails the tune to me, I download the tune from my PC into my Predator, then I upload the tune from the Predator to the car. Basically all I'm doing is using the Predator as a transport device.

Here's what I suggest... Once you get your car back together use the "canned" or "Built-in" pulley tune that comes stock with the Predator. Once you have that loaded into your car DRIVE IMMEDIATELY TO THE NEAREST DYNO AND GET THE CAR TUNED CORRECTLY! DO NOT get into boost until you get a real tune in the car. You risk burnin' the car up.

Just my 2 cents...

U.M.

I do have my own wideband o2 in the car. That's how I know where the AFR is. I have a dyno appointment set for tuesday but they said they just play with the handheld. So where do you get your tunes from then UM?
I'd skip that particular dyno appointment if all they can do for you is tune through your Predator alone... that's just not good enough!

The Predator and even the Xcal don't let you "fine tune" the AF ratio, fuel trim tables, torque management, boost bypass, etc., etc., etc. Yes with a wide band you may be able to get it close, but the Predator will only let you add so much fuel (15% additional enrichment I believe and then only in 500 RPM increments?) This I can almost guarantee will not be nearly enough to support your mods. Plus with a ported blower and a 2.76 upper have you thought about fuel delivery? Is your MAF and fuel system still stock? A ported blower with a 2.76 upper is going to take your fuel system to its max if not over.

I suggest you find another tuner with access to a dyno who can create a CUSTOM tune for your car. I personally use James Parker from RWTD as my main man. He's got this stuff down to a science and know his chit! He can make you a tune and email it to you that I guarantee will be closer to ideal than ANYTHING those guys can do for you with just the Predator alone!

U.M.