diagnosis tech

dragnazz5.0

My "0" key d0esn't w0rk, s0 I have t0 use the zer0
Nov 19, 2005
mooresville, nc
i know this is pretty basic stuff for most people but i figured it would be good to have around incase someone forgets something or someone new has a question. i have a lot of info that im gonna put in here but give me some time because some of it is really long.

Manual transmission diagnosis

Transmission sticks or locks in gear
  • clutch not releasing
  • stick interlock or detent plugs
  • shift linkage out of adjustment
  • sliding gears tight on shift splines
  • peened over teeth on synchro sleeves
  • lack of lubrication

bearing noise
  • in all gears except direct drive
front main shaft bearings
countershaft bearings

• in all gears when moving
rear case bearing

• with clutch engaged (in neutral)
front case bearing (input shaft)
counter shaft bearings

• with clutch fully disengaged
pilot bearing

gear noise
  • whine in one gear only
worn gear

• clunk in one gear only
broken gear

• clack in one gear only
cracked gear

• tranny noise in all gears
incorrect or inadequate lubricant

Transmission jumps out of direct drive only
  • excessive end play of input shaft
  • high gear synchronizers worn or broken
  • worn front case bearing
  • shift linkage not fully engaging
  • worn shift forks

Transmission jumps out of gear
  • shift linkage worn or misadjusted
  • insufficient spring tension of detent springs
  • misalignment or loose transmission or bellhousing
  • pilot bearing badly worn
  • shift fork, lever, or shaft is bent or worm
  • badly worn transmission bearings
  • worn synchronizer hub or broken keys
  • excessive play in output shaft
  • bad mounts
Transmission shifts hard
  • clutch free travel excessive
  • clutch does not fully release
  • sliding gears or synchro rings binding
  • sliding gear teeth damaged
  • synchronizer worn or damaged
  • shift mechanism binding, worn, or out of adjustment
  • low lube level or incorrect (too thick) lubricant
  • housing or shafts out of alignment
  • too many powershifts (haha)

Gear clash (grinding) during shifting

• clutch not releasing
  • synchronizer has worn blocking rings and/or cone surface
  • broken blocker rings
  • excessive output shaft endplay
  • detent springs weak/broken
  • gears seizing to main shaft
  • input shaft binding to pilot bushing

Differential

Gear noise
  • contact pattern out of adjustment
  • when turning in either direction
differential pinion or side gears

• on accel – drive side pattern incorrect
  • on decel – coast side pattern incorrect
Bearing noise
  • loudest when accelerating – rear pinion bearing
  • loudest when decelerating – front pinion bearing
  • increases with road speed (not affected by turning)
carrier bearings

• when turning right
left axle bearing

• when turning left
right axle bearing

coming soon: brake diagnosis (its long so give me some time)

Reactions: 2 users
  • Sponsors (?)

that looks very good man. Looks like you went to a little bit of work to help all of us guys (gals) out. Thx very much.
under transmission shifts hard could you add one two many power shifts plz. lol thx for the help.

the write up for autos will be here in probably 6 weeks. ive got all these notes from my classes that im rewriting and i havent been through that class yet. so far ive got basic engines, steering/suspension, manual trans/drivetrain, brakes, electronics (not really any diagnosis other than looking a diagram and using a multi-meter), and air conditioning/climate control. but dont worry, im probably gonna do brakes tomorrow and do auto trannys when i get the notes. im not worried about the electrical stuff since jrichker pretty much has that covered in every aspect specific to mustangs.

T5 question not on check list all gears work fine but 5th. Reverse also works fine. 5th gear and speedometer quit at the same time. The transmission makes no noise of any kind; the engine spins freely in 5th gear.

enyawix said:
I Was using google and found that! this is not your work. It belongs to Hanlonmotorsports. http://www.hanlonmotorsports.com/HanlonTIC.html

ok buddy. hanlon isnt the only company that knows anything about tranny tech. it came straight from my notes that i took in class and from stuff that i know. im ASE certified in manual transmissions and drivelines.

I am sorry, I was hasty in my assessment of you. I am in the process of studying for ASE testing. I must admit that guide is very ASE like. What guides did you use to get ready? Auto zone gave me a set published by Chilton.

(Ran spell check. I can not spell :)

I am sorry, I was hasty in my assessment of you. I am in the process of studying for ASE testing. I must admit that guide is very ASE like. What guides did you use to get ready? Auto zone gave me a set published by Chilton.

Ran spell check I can not spell :)

enyawix said:

Ran spell check I can not spell :)

its straight, i wasnt tryin to be a dick either. i didnt use any guides. the tests arent all that hard in my opinion. the material is the easy part, trying to figure out what they are asking is the hard part. some questions are really difficult, especially when they have 4 right answers and you have to pick the best one. ive got three more tests this week and ill have a1-a8 completed and hopefully passed. and than i have to start studying up and working on stuff for the L1...which is supposed to be pretty damn hard. good luck to ya

hey dragonazz i have post a thread called clutch or trans problem don't know if you came acrossed it or not seems my clutch is not releasing,all new parts and rebuilt trans have tried to adjust it and changed cable to stock replacement from adjustable still no resolve,even tried different clutch.these are some questions i'm looking for some answers to .how many different types of bearing retainers are there my new one is shorter than the one that was previously on trans.and what else could be problem that it's no disengaging seems to release fine without gear box in the car used alignment tool to check for disengagement trying to troubleshoot.would appreciate any info nobody seems to beable to give me any suggestions. pm me back when you get a chance.