Did I do the right thin?

scupking

Sep 18, 2005
Enfield, CT
I had a gear thread going but decided to make a new thread now that I just placed the order. I'm one that fears the gear but closed my eyes and clicked place order on FRPP 4.10s. I recently changed my mind and will be staying N/A, that’s the main reason I picked 4.10s. I think down the road I will get Stage II cams. Did I make a good choice going with 4.10s or am I going to regret getting them? I will be going to the track soon for the first time.

• Sponsors (?)

guess it depends on the goals you have in mind for the car. probly won't want to drive it on the street much anymore thats all. unless you can afford more gas anyway. me I can't

It's my DD, so it will be on the road everyday. People say that gas mileage won't go down by much. Man I'm starting to regret this before I even get them.

i have 4.10s in my car i didn't really notice that much of a drop in gas mileage but my mustangs not a DD. Thats why i really went with the 4.10's i have a 90 nissan sentra to beat up around town. i think u will like the 4.10's. Highway runs are fun but it sucks when u have to go into 5th but the good thing about 5th is that you can just cruise and don't need to downshift alot and its not like the stock gearing where 5th just doesn't cut it unless ur going over 65mph.

i have 4.10s in my car i didn't really notice that much of a drop in gas mileage but my mustangs not a DD. Thats why i really went with the 4.10's i have a 90 nissan sentra to beat up around town. i think u will like the 4.10's. Highway runs are fun but it sucks when u have to go into 5th but the good thing about 5th is that you can just cruise and don't need to downshift alot and its not like the stock gearing where 5th just doesn't cut it unless ur going over 65mph.

I have an automatic so no fith gear for me.

I'm going to call up American Muscle and change my order to 3.73s. To many people saying that 3.73s would be the better option. Will I still feel a nice difference with the 3.73s over 3.27s?

I have 4.10's and can't say that there is that much of a change in gas mileage. In fact, gas mileage in the city gets better (yes, I was shocked).

From everything I've heard, those who get 3.73's, end up wishing they would have gone with 4.10's.

From the TCCOA website which BTW does not even mention 4.10 in their debates:

3.27, 3.55 or 3.73 gear ratio ?
If you are considering changing your gear ratio consider this:

If your car has the wide ratio 4R70W tranny, you should definitely recommend 3.55 gears or even 3.27 if you do a lot of highway travel. Your car already has a low first gear, going with 3.73s would probably create a lot of off the line wheel spin. Gas mileage decreases should not be too drastic maybe 2 or 3 mpg's, and you will really only notice that on the highway, not in town unless your right foot gains ten pounds :)
The top end will be reduced, but that can be fixed with the Chip.
You'll feel a lot more pull on the bottom, but the top will come in sooner as well. You'll need to get some real meat on the rear wheels to maintain traction. I would not run a tire "shorter" than stock.

3.55, while less quick, would probably suit you if you were concerned about the freeway miles (Plus, you may not need a chip with 3.55)

Overall you end up spinning the motor more to go the distances you used to (i.e. more wear), but IMHO the performance difference is well worth it. Once you are in traffic & get that first open opportunity to punch it from 50 to 70 you will know you made the right choice! Good basic maintenance will negate any additional wear.....

Cost ?

In my experience you can expect to pay anywhere from 500-700 dollars (parts included-$180 for gears, $200 or so for install, $220 for a Superchip.) for a good quality installation job. Also, the tolerances in the differential must be kept exact, so you should definitely have it done professionally.
One other thing you might want to consider is changing the speedometer gear to correct the speedo, as it will be thrown off when you change your gears.

BOTTOM LINE from Kilgore: The 4.10 gear with 4R70W means you wil run out of first gear way too quick.

I canceled my 4.10 order and went with 3.73s. They should be in on Thursday. I assume you would be able to feel a nice difference between 3.27s and 3.73s. I have an xcal 2 so I will use that to calibrate my speedometer.

shoulda got the 4.10's if its going to stay NA... 3.73's just dont let it spin hard enough... even with longtubes and the gear it feels like i need more... maybe it needs a set of cams...

I already felt a big difference between my stock set up and Tim's custom 93 Oct. tune. So I think this will be another nice addition. I'm going to call Tim up to have him adjust my tune for the 3.73s.

auto's = 4.10s

:stupid: . With an auto you should defiantly go with 4.10s. I don't think you will feel much of a difference with the 3.73s. I have 4.10s and love them(mines a manual) and did not see much of a decrease with gas mileage either so either way you should be ok on gas mileage.