Dies Immediately After Start

JustMan

May 5, 2017
I'm having problems with my 2004 mustang gt where the car cranks and starts but immediately dies even when I try to keep it alive by giving it a little gas it still dies. So it all started when I was driving the car to a gas station. The car started up fine and drove fine until I was coming up on a light I tried to beat the light but I couldn't so I braked hard to come to a stop and that's when the car first turned off. I was able to turn it back on before the light turned green but I had to keep on the gas a little to keep it alive. As soon as I pulled into the gas station the car turned off again but this time it would start and die immediately. I pumped some gas and tried again but still no luck I keep trying to keep it alive by giving it gas but it would stumble and just shut off. I had it towed to my house and started to check different things. I first checked the fuse for the fuel pump but it was fine then i checked if the relay was working for the fuel pump (on the ccrm) I could hear the click when it would come on. So then I thought it might be the fuel filter so I changed it out but still nothing. I tried changing out the tps sensor since I had an extra one laying around but still nothing. Anyone have an idea of what could be causing this problem?

• Sponsors (?)

I went through the tech threads and found nothing for a stalling/no start problem. Sorry, I will say to start with checking for codes, there is an inexpensive scanner you can downlosd, I think it will work for this model, I will summon @wmburns and he will post it when he can, I think he is one of our resident know it alls here :stick:

The tread does not state IF you can hear the fuel pump actually run when the CCRM clicks. If you do not hear it and the problem started right after HARD braking, I would be thinking that the trunk mounted IFS fuel cut off switch has been activated. You know the switch that cuts off the fuel pump after an accident?

The crank with no start check list doesn't fully apply here since it does run for a short period of time. But there is still some useful information.

1996+ Crank with no start check list
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/4-6l-tech/336452-1997-mustang-wont-ignite.html#2984838

If the problem is still present the next step is to CONFIRM key on power in and out of the trunk mounted IFS switch using a KNOWN good ground.

If there is power at the IFS switch the problem lies down stream.

If there is no power at the IFS switch then the problem lies upstream.

I'm willing to bet that your pump went bad. If it was original and you were low on gas and did a fast stop it might have sucked up some air which was enough for it to finally fail.

Have someone spray some starting fluid in the intake while you crank it. Does it start and stay running if they keep giving it squirts? If it does then put a pump in.