Diff Link

Mark CSM 1638

Feb 28, 2015
Hi, I just purchased a 2007 Shelby GT , not the 500, 21000 mile garage queen, very nice. Got a clunck when letting the clutch back out changing gears, took it to the local Ford dealer and they say apart from the Shelby upgrades there is another upgrade in the form of a turn buckle type link going to the diff or somewhere can anyone shed a light on what this may be, seems to be the root cause, they tighten up the jam nut or what ever but today the cluncking
image.jpg
came back.

• Sponsors (?)

Hi Red_LX, much appreciate your input, I am going to search for those items, if you know off the top where I could get these please let me know, lol any idea how I get my profile picture to post the right way up?

Well the anti-clunk bushings are pretty easy to find, go to google or ebay and type in "mustang anti clunk washers" or "mustang anti clunk bushings" and you should be able to find them. Those might be your best route as they cost around $30 vs an upper control arm mount that's going to run you $100+ and a fairly more complicated install.

As for the profile picture, I'm guessing it needs rotated before you upload it? I'm not sure why it would be displayed upside down.

Well the anti-clunk bushings are pretty easy to find, go to google or ebay and type in "mustang anti clunk washers" or "mustang anti clunk bushings" and you should be able to find them. Those might be your best route as they cost around $30 vs an upper control arm mount that's going to run you $100+ and a fairly more complicated install.

As for the profile picture, I'm guessing it needs rotated before you upload it? I'm not sure why it would be displayed upside down.

Yep I did a search, how do I know the correct size are they all the same, also what material ect, if you could point me in the right direction that would be cool, I don't want to just pick something that may work and have to find its not correct when the car is at the shop on the lift.. Thanks to you I know more than I did and know what is needed to fix the problem so I thank you for that.

Mark.

Yes they are all the same.

The problem is that Ford put a 14mm hole in the upper mount, then used a 12mm bolt in the control arm. Nobody really seems to know why but once you switch to an aftermarket control arm, the bolt moves around in the hole and causes the clunk you're hearing.

I've never bought them, so just find whoever has the best deal and you should be fine. I believe they are all stainless steel, and installing them involves just removing the bolt from the chassis end of the upper arm, putting them on like regular washers and reinstalling & retorquing the bolt, pretty simple.