differences between 96-98 and 99-02 cobra

rugster

Aug 31, 2004
So im looking into buying a cobra and Im curious about the differences between the 96-98's and the 99-02's. Ive heard that the 96-98 is somewhat of a dog and can sometimes have trouble outrunning a 99-04 GT from a dig. If thats the case, with only 10 more hp, are the 99-02's really that much faster? I know that the body stlye changed, but is the 99-02 any faster than the older cobra...and will it also have trouble with 99-04 GT's...which would make no sense to me. Thnx

You'll want to check out SVT's homepage, go to the "cobra" section, and then click on "view specs" for each model year cobra. Lots of information.

96,97,98 (Naturally aspirated).
99,01 (Naturally aspirated).
03,04 (supercharged).

The best mod to help these cars are gears. 4.10s or higher. 4.30s or 4.56 if you are serious at the track - torque multiplication.

you would only have trouble with a GT if you're a poor driver.
yeah you'd stay about even till the end of 2nd gear, then once the cobra hits 3rd it's gone. my friend and I raced both stock 03 GT vs. my 98 cobra. i'd kill him after 3rd and from a roll he didnt have a chance. now my current mods vs. 03 GT with bassani catted x and bassani catback i destroy him all the time.

solid rear on the 96-98 compared to IRS on the 99/01.
better interior in the 01. 99 is lame, like 96-98 but still comfortable.
just really different intake manifolds on the 99/01's to get that extra power and pull a little harder up top. they're pretty even cars though. depends what you like more. i went with the 98 over 99 but i'd go 01 over a 98. and 03/04 is def. the best all around.
on the other hand, the mach 1 is the best choice if u want an N/A cobra.
solid rear, cobra motor, sick interior, ram air. goin to look at one tomorrow actually.

OK thanks guys. Im a full time college student so Im limited to a tight budget. I know the 03-04 is an amazing ride...but that wont fit the budget. Someone is buying my 98 PI GT for 9 so Ill probably look at the 96-98 cobra the hardest, maybe I can get one for 9 and have no out of pocket.

I ran my stock '97 Vs. an 04 GT modded with cat-back, CAI + MAF, pulley's and ECU tune. He had me by a couple of cars until 3rd gear when I started creeping back up on him. We both maxed out at the top of 4th gear and I just held it steady with him. Of course the second I edged past him (intentionally) he backed off.

:NOTE: This was a deserted highway at 1 AM in Arizona. Don't try it in areas with any traffic.