Suspension Different height ball joints?

Hey guys, I posted a couple weeks ago about tight steering, steering not returning to center, and a squeak when the steering wheel is turned. We assumed the ball joints were bad. I've been wanting to lower the car so I figured it was the perfect time to do the ball joints and springs together.

I bought a stock k member with new control arms and new ball joints off of Facebook marketplace. The guy said everything was off of his fox body Mustang that he was working on. I installed the new control arms and torqued the the ball joint nut to 100 foot pounds. When I got done torquing the nut I was going to put the cotter pin in and I noticed that I couldn't see the hole the cotter pin goes in. I noticed that the castle nut was only level with the top of the ball joint when it was torqued. I then looked at the original control arm with the original ball joint versus the replacement control arm with the replacement ball joint. I had the original left side control arm and ball joint off and I set it next to the right side control arm and ball joint. The control arm height appears to be the same but the ball stud length is way different. Are there different lengths of ball joints between the years in the fox bodies?

I don't know if the spindles were swapped when it was five lug converted or not or if that would even make a difference? I'm not sure what is going on since these were supposed to have been off a fox body but they don't work with my spindles.

Anyone have any ideas?

Attachments

• 20240610_202952_HDR.jpg
    20240610_202952_HDR.jpg
    544.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 20240610_202923.jpg
    20240610_202923.jpg
    705.5 KB · Views: 27
  • Sponsors (?)

I do know when I did the cobra brake upgrade the 1995 spindles needs either sn 95 ball joints or ( what I used) a spacer on my fox body ball joints.

I'm guessing the guy I bought the k-member and control arms from must have had something like Cobra brakes on his car that required the shorter ball joints. I'll go ahead and order a set of fox body ball joints.

Thanks everyone for the replies and info.
I am guessing he had 94/95 5 lug spindles on his car... You might want to make sure those lower A arms are correct....

79-93 Mustang/Capri front control arm length: 13"

84-86 Mustang SVO front control arm length: 14"

94-04 Mustang front control arm length: 14.23" (from Jack Hidley at MM)

I always thought the 99-04 were longer than the 94-98 but one of the guys on foureyedpride says they are all the same length via a conversation with Jack. The reason that grabbed my attention is that the guys on a T-Bird site say the 87-88 Thunderbird/Cougar LCA's are the same length as the 94-98 Mustang LCA's. I know for a fact the 83-86 Thunderbird/Cougar LCA's are identical to the 79-93 Mustang LCA's as I use the Mustang LCA's on my T-Bird.

Last edited:
I took this pic a whole back showing FOx vs SN95 control arm differences. Left is a 99-04 arm, and right is a 1993 OEM arm. I have the lower extension set where the sprng cup is, but the distance is about 1" more outboard than Fox. I don't have a reference (or measurement) on the balljoint but it's about the same.

Moving the spring cup out about 1" does actually affect how the car rides due to leverage. Because the spring is further out, SN95 cars ride on softer springs, which translates to a (slightly) softer ride.

Of course now we are going a little bit off-topic.

1718133838782.png