Digital Immigrant

SUCCESS!!!!! I swapped the wires from pins 8/9 and 11/12 on the EDIS at the coil pack connectors and it started right up and idles wonderfully! Sitting right at 8-9 degrees at idle with fixed timing. Next step is the trigger wizard and back to the ignition table. Can't do anything else till next Monday because I'm traveling, but I am SO GLAD it's running.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Now I'm trying to return to MAF vs. speed density and I'm confused. I found the Transfer curves for the stock 5.0 MAF ('91-93) and copied them, then tried to paste them into the MAF curve in TS. I highlighted the whole chart and then pasted, but now I have two curves (see attachment). What am I doing wrong?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-02-26 at 8.54.09 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-02-26 at 8.54.09 AM.png
    657.1 KB · Views: 124
Well you are using an apple product for starters :p.

Here is the deal, did you translate the curve into the proper scale?
also you only want to copy and paste into the boxes on the right, you do not want to copy and paste to the entire dialog box.

Still working on the details of using my MAF. I wired my A9L for the MAF prior to getting the MSPNP. Will the MSPNP use the signal from Pin 50 & 9 on the ECU or do I have to move jumpers and use other inputs (new wires)?
Others say I need to do this: https://www.diyautotune.com/news/tu...extra-analog-sensor-input-to-the-mspnp-gen-2/
Re: scaling percentage; is that necessary if I'm using stock 19lb injectors and a stock MAF?
What is the advantage of using MAF for fuel and MAP for spark advance?

The jumper is correct, you will need to do this and intercept the input from the MAF and take it to the EXT [external input] for the ADC input. or you can solder a jumper wire from the pins inside the case...

The advantage of using MAP for spark for now is that table is tuned... once you have a nice long datalog i can show you how to build a timing table in MAF from the info obtained in MAP.

It looks like I've got the idle where I want it but I'm not sure I'm headed the right direction on the rest of the tune. My scatter plot has a big old curve to it and I'm not sure where I should be focusing to get it more linear. A couple days ago I scarfed one of your ignition tables from another thread and uploaded it. That raised my idle timing from 16 to 20 and made my idle AFR a bit richer but it still idles fine. I made a histogram with RPM/IGnition load/AFR/AFR Tgt and I'm confused as to what I should do with the results (how I should apply them). I'm just looking for some advice on what I should focus on.

Attachments

• CurrentTune.msq
    111.3 KB · Views: 115
  • 2019-03-30_09.54.10.msl
    6.4 MB · Views: 101
  • 2019-03-30_08.27.24.msl
    6.2 MB · Views: 102
looking at your log file i see that EGO correction is pulling a ton of fuel when you are cruising, the idea is to make it where the EGO is doing very little work. I am going to post a histogram for you showing how far off the fuel is over all in the last datalog vs your tune file.

this histogram is just looking at the EGO correction being done. you can see in the picture below that the WB is pulling the maximum fuel you are allowing it to almost all the time.
freeman histogram2.PNG

Now I built a special log view that allows me to hand tune the VE table by multiplying the cells by the numbers i get in the histogram, this view is a custom expression that takes the ego correction into account. This is how far off the fuel table is and by multiplying the cells by these numbers it will fall into line.
I did notice that you used one of my tables for a 93 octane tune, you may have to reduce the timing in the KPA cells above 70kpa to stop spark knock.
freeman histogram3.PNG

if the box is any color other than green ignore it and smooth

Thanks for the analysis! I applied the values to the VE table and smoothed it. I didn't realize your ignition table was for 93 octane, so I reverted to my previous table. Did a 45 minute drive/datalog. I don't know if the histogram result is good or bad. Am I making progress?

Attachments

• 2019-03-31_18.27.40.msl
    12.4 MB · Views: 98
  • CurrentTune.msq
    113.9 KB · Views: 90
  • Screen Shot 2019-03-31 at 9.51.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-03-31 at 9.51.56 PM.png
    509 KB · Views: 107
I've been leaning the fuel incrementally in the cruising range and it seems to be getting better. I turned on the Over-run/Fuel Cut-off to see how that affected things and it seems to be okay. I still have a stutter under mildly hard acceleration and I think eventually I'll work on the Accel enrichment to see if I can fix that. The histogram has changed by nearly 10% in cruise--but my question is: what is ideal?

Attachments

• CurrentTune.msq
    113.9 KB · Views: 95
  • 2019-04-09_15.00.57.msl
    12.5 MB · Views: 103
  • 2019-04-11_08.12.21.msl
    10.9 MB · Views: 82
  • Screen Shot 2019-04-11 at 4.52.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-11 at 4.52.32 PM.png
    356.2 KB · Views: 89
That depends on what the engine wants, your histogram looks really good right now. Have you only trimmed fuel in VE table? you can change the AFR table to lean the engine out in the cruise range and the EGO correction will target the leaner mixture. at this point you are pretty much done.

accel enrichments have nothing to do with sustained loads. they are for tip in fuel requirements

I trimmed in the fuel table and I've been leaning the AFR table some too. I was aware that the accel enrichments were for fuel tip in and I was holding off on touching them until I was satisfied with the steady state fuel stuff. I pulled the WB and recalibrated it tonight just because I haven't calibrated it since the initial installation. Overall I feel like the drive-ability is pretty good. Just a few minor quirks I want to work on. Thanks for the input--I'm encouraged that my efforts are paying off. Next steps, MAF, maybe a knock sensor, fan control.

I put the jumper in my ECU to use the ADC2 for the MAF. With the original ECU pin 50 was the input and pin 9 was signal return? Which of those wires should I connect to Pin 19 of my 26 pin connector on the ECU? I'm thinking it's the wire that went to Pin 50 on the EECIV, but I'm not sure.

Well, the wiring part was easy. I muddled around with the MAF curve using transfer curve from a '91 T-bird 5.0 because that's where I got the MAF. With only 30 values and 65 in TS I put the values I had in the right column at the voltage points closest to the original and then smoothed them which result in no curve but a straight line. Do I have no idea what I'm doing? I still haven't found the secret society to join which will speak MAF in English! Anyway, it starts and dies. So I'm doing something wrong.

Attachments

• 2019-05-19_19.34.02.msl
    286.4 KB · Views: 87
  • CurrentTune.msq
    114.4 KB · Views: 101