Do I have to drive 150 miles to reset computer?

99LEGT

Dec 8, 2003
Philadelphia
Alright guys I need your help, I had my car in for inspection over the weekend and I had a bank 1 hego heater sensor replaced to wipe the check engine light thats been on. The shop told me when i picked the car up that I had to drive 150 miles so the code clears of the cars computer and than they could run the emissions so they can get the pass status. Since I work all the time and drive like one mile everyday back and fourth from work 150 miles will take me a few weeks and my stickers are old so has anybody heard of this before?

• Sponsors (?)

Ditto. disconnect your battery and mash the brakes to make sure there is no residual charge in the system, then wait 20 min. and re-connect. This will reset the comp and after about 2 or 3 driving cycles, your comp. should re-adjust itself accordingly.

mrvax said:
Wait a sec. Yes, that will reset the computer but there will NOT be enough drive cycles data to provide accurate EEC info and they will know it. I don't know about Philly, but in NY that trick will NOT work.

I agree with what you said. One other option 99LEGT has is to find a "shady" inspection place to pass him and then fix the problem when he has the time/money. When I lived in NY I would take my car to a reputable inspection station and find out what need to be fixed (if anything), then I would take it to another place that basicly honked the horn and checked the lights, so I could get a passed sticker. When I had the money I would get the necessary repairs (cracked brakelines, faulty head light, clogged CAT, etc.) It's been a while since I've lived there so I don't know if the process has changed or not, but it might be worth a try?

150 miles

the problem has been fixed jinx, I need to go through some drive cycles before I can pass though so I guess I'm going on a road trip tonight! The thing that sucks is my intake manifold is spitting antifreeze due to a cracked housing so I was trying not to drive a whole lot until I can have that fixed by the dealer.