DOING 160MPH

I had this talk a coworker about my Stangs ability to do 160mph with no mods except a tuner to turn off the speed nanny. I know that the current Mustang are limited to 145mph because of the non Z rated tires from the factory.

So is it true that our S197 Stang can easily do 160mph with z rated tires and a tune?

• Sponsors (?)

No. I believe are cars are drag limited pretty severly past 140 MPH. I'd be very suprised if even given enough space if you could hit 160mph on a completely stock stang. I've had mine up to about 150 (GPS verified) and its about all she had. This was on a darn near 5 miles straight stretch of road. (closed coarse , not open road, texas FTW!)

P.S. - This was when it was totally stock.

160 won't happen without lowering, weight removal, aerodynamic mods, and a closed course (or Autobahn) obviously, because we can't be talking about going 100+ mph on the street on here.

Mustang and Fast Fords did an article on the Mustang gt. Believe was an 07, had cold air intake, tuner, and front chin spoiler, an aggresive one and topped it out at 157. So stock would probably be about 150ish.

Even with 300(stock)to 350(tuner and several bolt ons)hp in these cars, it is hard for me to imagine that it could overcome all the vertical surfaces and recessed flat grill area to achieve 160 MPH without some sort of F/I.

160 ?? On a closed course my car barely gets to 120, never mind 160. I haven't had it flat out but I can tell you it doesn't seem like it has much more, and that is with a Steeda 93 tune and their CAI with high flow elbow.

The current stock tires (Pirelli 17" M&S high performance all season) are ZR rated (meaning they can handle above 149MPH -- of course, how much over, we really don't know).

There are probably two digits followed by one letter in the medium sized lettering on the tires. The two digits are the tire's load index and the letter is the speed rating. My OEM Pirelli 17" tires have "W", which is 168 mph.

I don't know about the S197s, but the foxes need about 500HP (at the wheels IIRC) to break 200 mph. I don't think the fox is much more aerodynamically efficient than the S197, my guess would be they are about the same in stock trim.

If you look at the WC cars, they have some very significant body changes, not to mention about an inch between the splitter and the ground and a fair bit more HP.
Dan

Are you guys kidding? Dissin' on the always ultra aerodynamic Mustang? You know I heard that the Mustangs drag coefficient was just a few hundredths above some really efficient shapes. You know, like the top side of a grand piano, or a box car going sideways, oo oo, I just ran some numbers and the S197 is actually more aerodynamic than a C5 cargo plane, if the C5 is flying backwards with the door open.

yeah, its pretty much a brick... my new edge was just over 150 with minor boltons and still pulling farily decent witha 3.27 gear but i think it would have only pushed 165ish if i had the balls... now im gear limited to 165 and have longtubes, lowered and a mach1 chin...

Ford just gave the car too much open space and flatness in front to be very aero... im sure if you had a cowl hood and lowered the car an inch or two that it might drop some of that built up air pressure, and could possibly aide in front stabilty, by forcing it over the windshield, which itself is pretty damn steep...

why would you want to go 150 in a stang anyways? i did it once catching up to my friend on his bike and i still had stock brakes... according to him when i came past him braking the rotors were glowing and it was doing something similar to what you see in the Autozone commercial when you see the "brake testing" lol

Are you guys kidding? Dissin' on the always ultra aerodynamic Mustang? You know I heard that the Mustangs drag coefficient was just a few hundredths above some really efficient shapes. You know, like the top side of a grand piano, or a box car going sideways, oo oo, I just ran some numbers and the S197 is actually more aerodynamic than a C5 cargo plane, if the C5 is flying backwards with the door open.

:lol::lol::lol:

This month's Car and Driver listed the top speed of the new Bullit at 151 mph, drag limited. I think Saleen is full of crap saying that they can get up to 190 with anything other than the S7. Vipers and Z06 vettes just barely make it and they have 600 and 500 hp respectively and much better aerodynamics.

I could see the Saleen Extreme Stang getting there as it has 600+ HP. Then again, hitting it on the speedo is one thing, having it verified by calibrated radar is another...