Doing stock rebuild, want more compression...piston recommendations?

85_SS_302_Coupe

it sucks (I know) to be on the receiving end
15 Year Member
Nov 11, 2003
Northern KY
I'm going to rebuild a spare block i have but i don't have or want to sink a bunch of money into it right now (i've got some body work to focus on first) but i'd like to get a little more compression out of it so it's a little racier. I'm thinking of getting some decent forged pistons with a healthy valve relief for a good sized cam (in case i decide to reuse the pistons for a more race oriented engine later) and that will bump compression to a good 10.5-11:1. Who makes/sells an inexpensive set that's not junk and won't kill my wallet?

• Sponsors (?)

I don't know about pricing, but I would stick with major brands like CHP or Probe.
There is no point in doing a low buck rebuild if you have to do it again after 10k miles.

Also, I would stay around 10.5 CR. Much higher may not be suitable for pump fuel.
I am interested to hear what others think on that though.

jason

vristang said:
I don't know about pricing, but I would stick with major brands like CHP or Probe.
There is no point in doing a low buck rebuild if you have to do it again after 10k miles.

Also, I would stay around 10.5 CR. Much higher may not be suitable for pump fuel.
I am interested to hear what others think on that though.

jason

Yeah i know 10.5 is ok for 91 octane or so, but we've got 94 around here too. I've got a limited amount of expierience playing with compression so i'm not sure if .5 extra compression will kill me or not. I don't plan on running boost or spraying this engine so that's not an issue. When i put this engine in, the one i'm taking out is either going to be a stroker in the works or i'm building a stroked 351W. I looked at DSS's options and their basic pistons are around 400 a set....that's probably more than i'm looking to spend just for some new pistons....i'd rather mill my heads and notch my pistons before i spend that kind of cash. Since i'm only doing this for a fun fill-in motor while i build another engine, i don't want to break the bank.

By the way....i'm not boring the block over or changing the rods or crank....just rehoning the cylinders and installing new bearings and rings....(actually, it's already done...but i had the idea of a little more compression and i'm interested in what my options are price wise before i put the heads on and drop it in).

I was told by my machine shop that the DSS pistons are not the best out there for the money. I am running the SRP flat top pistons right now from JE and they are NICE. They were about 500 bucks though, but they are lighter than stock and well balanced. My combo right now is at 10:1. The pistons made it 9.8 and cuttin the heads down a tad bumped it to 10. I have also heard that Ross pistons are very nice but also a little $$. I would say for a cheap rebuild tho, your best bet might be a trw or probe with a touch more compression.