Do's and Dont's of a blower

01BlkGT

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2002
ATX
I finally have saved up enough money to get the Steeda vortech kit :D and I figured I would ask what are the do's and dont's of having a blower? For example,

Don't:

Run the car hard with less than a 1/4 gas
etc

Do's:

Check the oil level every week
etc

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

That steeda kit is really impressive.. Not one lost motor.. Wow.. Sometimes I wish I would have kept my GT and supercharged it. Supercharging the Mach's 10:1 compression.. Too risky for me! And expensive.. 6k for a kit...

:notnice:

DO install it yourself
DON'T fear tapping the oil pan
DO upgrade your suspension and tires if you expect to put the extra power to the street
DON'T get into boost (>3,000 RPM) until the car is warmed up to normal operating temps
DO get a dyno check with a/f just to be safe

Otherwise, have fun! :shrug: :flag:

JCKnife said:
DO install it yourself
DON'T fear tapping the oil pan
DO upgrade your suspension and tires if you expect to put the extra power to the street
DON'T get into boost (>3,000 RPM) until the car is warmed up to normal operating temps
DO get a dyno check with a/f just to be safe

Otherwise, have fun! :shrug: :flag:

JCKnife just summed it up nicely in his post above. The suspension/tire upgrade is valuable advise. You will really feel the difference when you are able to hook up that new found power. I just had Tim install a set of Metco uppers and lowers on my car and it is a BIG difference. Also, I see Jackasses jump in their cars...fire it up....and immediately roar off down the road. DO NOT do this with a supercharger. Let the car warm up and the charger get some heat going to it before you take off and get into boost. This is really important for making your set-up last. And finally.......don't listen to anyone give you supercharger advise that doesn't even own one !!! I see this all the time on the boards. Listen to people who have been there/done that in real life........not in their make believe internet world.
:D

tigerdog said:
JCKnife just summed it up nicely in his post above. The suspension/tire upgrade is valuable advise. You will really feel the difference when you are able to hook up that new found power. I just had Tim install a set of Metco uppers and lowers on my car and it is a BIG difference. Also, I see Jackasses jump in their cars...fire it up....and immediately roar off down the road. DO NOT do this with a supercharger. Let the car warm up and the charger get some heat going to it before you take off and get into boost. This is really important for making your set-up last. And finally.......don't listen to anyone give you supercharger advise that doesn't even own one !!! I see this all the time on the boards. Listen to people who have been there/done that in real life........not in their make believe internet world.
:D

:)

All good recomendations....

One other thing I also recommend is not flooring it in overdrive or when the rpm's are very low(flooring it in 3rd with the rpms at 1500). Just not a good thing in general.

So far all of the advice looks good.
The reason that I can see for not flooring the car at low rpms in a high gear is because it puts a huge load on the car. Possibly causing detonation. Another thing that you might want to consider is a good shift light. I never really thought I needed one until I installed the blower. Now the tach rises a lot faster.

SmithAtlanta said:
:)

All good recomendations....

One other thing I also recommend is not flooring it in overdrive or when the rpm's are very low(flooring it in 3rd with the rpms at 1500). Just not a good thing in general.

okay this is my big worry about running a super charger. wife driving my car and pining the the trottle in 5th gear at 1800rpms.

what would solutions be to have this not be an issue?

safer tune?

lower boots levels?

for example running an intercooled 6psi?

just run lower gears?

or just throw her a beatin if she ever did it?

Well to be honest, as long as you have a good tune everything should be good to go. Besides it really is not good to be lugging a car around even if it is N/A. I really think if you explained the responsiblities of driving a blown car to your wife, and explain the fact that if she does not follow the rules that you will have to spend ~$4000 to fix the damages. I think she will listen. Luckily for me (Due to a bad expeirence learning to drive a stick when she was a teenager) my wife refuses to drive a stick.

Bullitt 2496 said:
I'll give ya a good one... DON'T Buy it from Steeda... Get it from Tim!

Totally agree

btw all I can think of right now is don't go into boost with the radio on...I make it a habit to shut the radio off if I want to floor it to listen for any possible detonation.

Here's some very good advice:

Make sure that you have a clean (new) fuel filter when you install your blower.

Also install new spark plugs that are the right temp and gapped correctly for a blower.

These basic things could save you hours of headaches.

Bullit#3441 said:
Here's some very good advice:

Make sure that you have a clean (new) fuel filter when you install your blower.

Also install new spark plugs that are the right temp and gapped correctly for a blower.

These basic things could save you hours of headaches.

Speaking of fuel filters, how often do you replace yours? I was guessing about every 10000-15000. Should it be more often?