Drag/Street suspension for dailt driver?

FreeGT

Dec 9, 2003
St. Louis
I currently own a 89 hatch, with a Kenne Bell Blower. I am wondering what would be a good suspension for the street and for the strip. I plan on getting drag radials and a new driveshaft in the near future. The car already has subframes and Ford racing lowering springs. Should I get braces and a K member, or is that too much? What kind of shocks? Air shocks maybe, or some kind of dual adjustable ones? Also what is a torque box?

Thanks in advance guys!

• Sponsors (?)

i have had 3 different setups on 3 different cars, and this is my opinion from driving all 3

forget about the k.....get a set of hpm mega bite jr's , put the kyb's all around it (even the cheap ones, don't need adjustable), poly bushing kit from energy suspension (entire car), and an air bag in the right side coil.

the car will hook like it's got a fat girl standing in the trunk jumping up for a twinkie, and will handle like a vette.

i like this setup more than drag only w/ the 50/50's and 70/30's cuz the car won't handle anymore.
dump the swaybar and quads and don't even try to hit the turns nemore

Could you give me some more information about a few things?
notchback said:
and an air bag in the right side coil.What do you mean by an air bag?

i like this setup more than drag only w/ the 50/50's and 70/30's cuz the car won't handle anymore.
dump the swaybar and quads and don't even try to hit the turns nemore. Sorry, I'm a little unclear about what your saying here...

An air bag is almost exactly what it says...a bag full of air. It sits on the right side of the rear axle and its meant to eliminate the cockeyed squat that most foxes develop when launchin with sticky tires. 50/50's and 70/30's are just two variations of strut/shock combinations. 70/30's and 90/10's are much more directed towards drag strip driving while the 50/50's can be used quite easily on the street.

you can put an air bag in the right rear coil w/ a hose run to the trunk and preload the suspension w/ about 8 lbs. in it to launch more evenly......less hook on just the right side.

and the 50/50's are the drag shocks...the 90/10's and 70/30's are front struts which work great for drag racing but handle for ****

your better off in a gremlin

notchback said:
you can put an air bag in the right rear coil w/ a hose run to the trunk and preload the suspension w/ about 8 lbs. in it to launch more evenly......less hook on just the right side.

and the 50/50's are the drag shocks...the 90/10's and 70/30's are front struts which work great for drag racing but handle for ****

your better off in a gremlin
Yep. I had no front sway bar, and the drag setup... It handled like total ass, but it was fun to drive it fast around corners... felt like driving a catty... nice and soft suspension, that handled like total ass. :nice:

notchback said:
i have had 3 different setups on 3 different cars, and this is my opinion from driving all 3

forget about the k.....get a set of hpm mega bite jr's , put the kyb's all around it (even the cheap ones, don't need adjustable), poly bushing kit from energy suspension (entire car), and an air bag in the right side coil.

the car will hook like it's got a fat girl standing in the trunk jumping up for a twinkie, and will handle like a vette.

What springs were you using with that setup?

Where can you get an air bag for a 5.0? I've seen them for trucks, and hondas, and lincolns. Are you talking junkyard or aftermarket? Is this feasible for daily driving? What would I need? Anyone got some good websites for me?

Alot of questions, I know, but I want to do it right :D
It would be sad to waste 500+hp in traction. Kenne Bell's dont like 3.73s! :banana: