DSS...The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly?

• Sponsors (?)

I am very happy with my shortblock so far. If you want some pics let me know and I will post some up from the build....itz-a-nice u-like

It holds like 50-65psi cold idle, 40psi+ warm, and off idle it goes to 60+ topping out at about 70 or so over 4k.

P.S. I do not buy into the whole level 10 and 20 being stronger....I do like the idea of a CNC program (if setup correctly) to get repetable results to know the toll. of things.

For me the choice of CHP or DSS after a few calls to each (I feel both have a quality product) I went with DSS as they are ALOT closer (hell I could drive there pick it up and be back in less than 7hrs) to me and shipping would have been a bit more with CHP. I know Mark O'neal is on hardcore50 and he is the owner of CHP (or one of them) and is REALLY honest in his posts...do a seach there under his name.

Im looking at about $2k more at DSS for a similar setup, but the rep at DSS was 20x more nice and efficient than the guy at CHP.

I got a quote in 3 hours from DSS, and Im still waiting from MONDAY to get one from CHP.

The level 10/20 thing is not so much stronger block, it is more of the way the block is prepped. THe rep said that with a better prepped block, DSS has proof that the same setups can get 20-30 more HP ...again not becaus of being stronger.

Anyway, it is about $300 more....NOW, how many of us would spend $300 on a 30 HP bolt-on mod for our cars??....most of us.

So far, I am REALLY disappointed with CHP's service.

Thanks
RC

I <3 DSS. teehee.

I couldn't be more happy with their service. only problem i had with them was that the cometic head gaskets i ordered through them were on back order, but thats not their fault. I called them weekly to get an update on the progress of my short block and they always called me right back and told me what was up.

pic whore time:

513472_24_full.jpg

513472_25_full.jpg

513472_72_full.jpg

513472_73_full.jpg

513472_74_full.jpg

513472_75_full.jpg

513472_76_full.jpg

Dont know if you know this already or not but Anderson ford motorsports (PMS and other stuff people) runs DSS preaty much exclusivly.

IMN assuming that's a good thing, since Ive only seen/heard/read good things about AFM.

PROKILLER: I may be calling you to ask about them... I have been waiting since Monday for a quote from CHP...Everytime I call the SAME guy, he calls me back to get the info again then says He'll send me a quote :bs: THe guy (Nick) from DSS spent 25 minutes w/ me on the phone asking questions, then explaining to me the different options...I had a quote this morning...Problem is it was about $2500 more than CHP, but that was for Level 20 CNC with the "Super Pro, rated to 650 HP.. Their service was AWESOME, but is the product worth that much more...Not sure...:shrug:
RC

more than happy to help. I ended up spending like 5k through them. i got their oiling package and their flywheel/balancer package. they wanted me to o-ring the block though, and i didn't do that. i talked to rick anderson about it and he convinced me not to do it. basically i'd rather blow a head gasket than crack the block.

more than happy to help. I ended up spending like 5k through them. i got their oiling package and their flywheel/balancer package. they wanted me to o-ring the block though, and i didn't do that. i talked to rick anderson about it and he convinced me not to do it. basically i'd rather blow a head gasket than crack the block.

Send me your Email Address. I will forward you my quote sheet to look at:

Level 20 SUPER PRO Long block with balancer, oil pan, etc.
RC

You are getting suckered into the "level 20" marketing for a block NO stronger than the one CHP is offering you. What are you looking to build? What quote are you looking for, is it something custom? CHP lists prices on their site.

Rick91GT www.rnhperformance.com is the only one I trust with my shortblock! He's a one man show and he may be busy so if youre looking for something asap, he may not be the one.

You are getting suckered into the "level 20" marketing for a block NO stronger than the one CHP is offering you. What are you looking to build? What quote are you looking for, is it something custom? CHP lists prices on their site.

Rick91GT www.rnhperformance.com is the only one I trust with my shortblock! He's a one man show and he may be busy so if youre looking for something asap, he may not be the one.

I think EVERYONE is confused on the level 20 stuff. I have NEVER seen a claim of "stronger block" from them. What they are is a more "prepped" block., threaded freeze plugs, etc....for $300 more. It is more of the prep to make the block more efficient.....For $300 more if you're spending $6k+ I dont see the problem with upgrading.

RC

They claim the block up to 650hp. We all know a stock block is not reliable at that level regardless of machining and good balancing.

Rick will do whatever you want/need. Like I said if youre looking for something asap, he may be very busy.

Rick put together killers new dart based shortblock IIRC. I may be wrong but killer posted something about being very competitive with prices and what have you...dunno if he ships that much though.

From the pics killer put up from his build (hint hint***we want more btw hint hint***) the motor looked really nice.

my DSS pic whore-ed-ness

642232_22_full.jpg

642232_23_full.jpg

642232_26_full.jpg

642232_28_full.jpg

Here I am with the ford tool in a gag pic :D , pay no attention to the old dorky glasses I use as make shift safty glasses.
642232_37_full.jpg

They claim the block up to 650hp. We all know a stock block is not reliable at that level regardless of machining and good balancing.

Rick will do whatever you want/need. Like I said if youre looking for something asap, he may be very busy.

Im looking now hopefully for end of NEXT winter/early spring, so I have the time....Guess it does NOT hurt to drop an Email.

Thanks
RC