Dual Exhaust 3" Tail Pipes?

• Sponsors (?)

Why stop with dual 3"? :D Why not shoot for dual 5"? :shrug: You could fab up your own system using readily available pipe for 18 inch wheelers. :D Be the first on the block with HUGE pipes. :rlaugh: They'll look as cool as those show trucks runnin the interstates with dual 8-10" stacks. :D ( we call em "chicken haulers" :rlaugh: )

3" is WAY too big. For anything but something like 500+ cubic inch motors. Spend your money on something worthwhile. 3" systems are something akin to those things you've seen advertised that make you car get 100 mpg. All hype. Nothing for your money but pipes that are hard to deal with .

Ok so my exhaust is too big, I'm shooting for somewhere around 400 HP, I've already got the X pipe and the muffs in the car and they sound great, can I use 2.5 tail pipes with reducers off of the mufflers, sure I can dumb question :)

On my 400-450 horse 331 stoker-sixpacked 89 Ranger, I've got Shelby style Tri-Y's, into dual 2.25" pipe, they run into an equalizer tube of my own making, which is a single 4" x 12" long pipe, then back into dual 2.25" pipe, into dual 2.5" Dynomax turbo's, then straight out the rear of the truck. If there's a restriction, I sure as hell can't tell. This is a 3800 lb truck that runs mid 13's in the 1/4 mile.

The only way to tell is if you test the car with and without the exhaust. I was also looking for 3" tailpipes for mine but couldn't find them. I think if you are running close to or over 500 horse and you want to get EVERYTHING you can out of your car then 3" is the way to go. I have 520 horse and 2.5 is choking it down quite a bit. Tried it at the track. No exhaust = 11.39@119. Exhaust = [email protected]. This is full 2.5" flowmaster 2 chambers with their mandrel bent tail's. You can't really feel a difference on the street but to pick up a couple tenths is quite a bit. Just my 2 cents. I just e-mailed magnaflow to see if they would just sell the tailpipes. I'll let you know what they say.

jasonn said:
The only way to tell is if you test the car with and without the exhaust. I was also looking for 3" tailpipes for mine but couldn't find them. I think if you are running close to or over 500 horse and you want to get EVERYTHING you can out of your car then 3" is the way to go. I have 520 horse and 2.5 is choking it down quite a bit. Tried it at the track. No exhaust = 11.39@119. Exhaust = [email protected]. This is full 2.5" flowmaster 2 chambers with their mandrel bent tail's. You can't really feel a difference on the street but to pick up a couple tenths is quite a bit. Just my 2 cents. I just e-mailed magnaflow to see if they would just sell the tailpipes. I'll let you know what they say.

Part of the ET gain here is the weight loss!

mdjay said:
Part of the ET gain here is the weight loss!

Wrong. When I unbolt it, I just turn the pipe out of the way and put one bolt back in the header to hold it up out of the way. I do not remove the exhaust system. Hueypilot, I was thinking the same thing. My 2.5 is tight also.