Dual exhaust vs. Large single exhaust

CochinoFilipino

Founding Member
Jan 14, 2002
CA
Is there any performance (not sound or fitment) benefits to the Dual exhaust set-up?

I'm talking about a large diameter single exhaust where the area of cross-section would be about equal to that of the Dual set-up. Seems like cross-overs or H-pipes, are making up for a weakness in the dual set-up.

• Sponsors (?)

The crossovers are just there to equalize the pulses. The late F-bodies are a 2-into-1-into-2 arrangement and they are not short of power, but a true dual with X or H is undoubtedly better for performance.

I can't tell you exactly why duals are technically better, but I could go on all day about why it would be morally wrong to put a sewer pipe single on a V8 classic Mustang. :D

I think a big single exhaust is kinda cool in its own way. Duals are the only way to go on a mustang of course. But, when I get around to having the exhaust done on my 65 F100, I'm thinking of going with a single 3" or 3.5" system with kind of a hidden exit location. Something subtle. I never have been a big fan of chrome tips coming out under the bumper of anything, but thats just me.

CochinoFilipino said:
Is there any performance (not sound or fitment) benefits to the Dual exhaust set-up?

I'm talking about a large diameter single exhaust where the area of cross-section would be about equal to that of the Dual set-up. Seems like cross-overs or H-pipes, are making up for a weakness in the dual set-up.

For resonance (sound): Dual 2 1/5
For performance: Dual 2 1/5 with long tube and H and X for engine less than 600HP. H and X pipes are not making up for a weakness, they are just adjusting the back flow pressure on the engine and improving the vacuum draw on the exhaust port...therefore improving performance :nice:
For fitment: Dual 2 1/2. Unless you got with pro-dump or side exhaust you will be hard pressed to find someone that will do a good job at mendrel bending a 3"+ exhaust over the rearend. You will lose on the I.D. from the crimping. You will end up spending big dollars on getting a restricted pseudo 3"+ exhaust.
Last point: anything bigger than a 3" muffler will require you to go to a truck muffler and fitment is almost impossible (location and ground clearance). In addition the cost of production will skyrocket after they add the "ugly" surcharge :owned: