Dyno Disapointment:-(~

GrayCobra

Jun 23, 2004
DFW, TX
Track Masters just did my 1st Dyno on the stock 03 Cobra. (Huntsville AL) Arthur Wang did me up.

Max outputs were a bit short of my expectations. Remember she is stock with 18K miles.

RWHP 350.78
RWTQ 340.13

Fuel/Air mis was very rich?

I wonder what to do now to git 400+ HP and TQ?

K&N FIPK is on the way. Nothing else orderd yet.

P.S. He's emailing me the curve/spec sheet

• Sponsors (?)

Can you post the dyno sheet? :shrug:

I would say that at least statistically, you are still making good power. An engine rated at 390/390 crank (yes all of them are making more at the crank than their rated figure...heh), @ 15% drivetrain loss, should in theory be putting down 331.5rwhp & 331.5rwtq SAE at the very minimum. Yours is making more than that, so I wouldn't be overly concerned - a chip/tune can take care of A/F issues.

Now, looking at your numbers, your engine is making slightly more than the minimum, which is probably in the "acceptable" range - 350rwhp/340rwtq. Don't worry about it TOO much! You will really see some gains after a CAI, pulley, chip/tune, and new midpipe/catback...definately over 400rwhp/400rwtq, perhaps closer to the 500rwhp/500rwtq mark. :cheers:

I'll post the sheet as soon as he emails me. Shouldn't take too long. The curves are pretty flat but The Air Mix was ultra rich according to the Dyno dude, with highs of 15.5 falling off the chart as the r's rose. I'll post the chart soonest.

Did he use the Sniffer or the O2 bung for your A/F?? I was there June 12th, and in 100 degree heat pulled 401 / 376 with the K&N FIPK, and MagnaFlow Catback. Only 1200 miles on the car. Reason I ask about the sniffer, is that they were having problems with it... A/F ratios all over the board on the cars before mine and 2 others, went to the bung 2 cars before mine A/F ratios were good on those. Don Walker of Modular Madness was there, and guessed I would turn 360 hp with my mods in the heat... was elated with what I got...

I have to ask. I've told people about the stock 03/04 getting over 350RWHP and they say I'm nuts. If the car has 390hp base, getting over 350RWHP doesn't make sense. I've seen the dyno sheets, do they always show the rating as RW or is it base HP? I have a 03 and would love to brag about it, but just want to make sure I'm not wrong.

rdefino said:
I have to ask. I've told people about the stock 03/04 getting over 350RWHP and they say I'm nuts. If the car has 390hp base, getting over 350RWHP doesn't make sense. I've seen the dyno sheets, do they always show the rating as RW or is it base HP? I have a 03 and would love to brag about it, but just want to make sure I'm not wrong.

They say you are nuts for what, getting 350 at the wheels? Remember, these
motors are underrated at 390 crank, they are closer to 425. They are rated
lower for insurance purposes and choked from the factory. CAI and exhaust
will give you your actual rwhp #'s ( 15%-20% drivetrain loss ). 350rwhp is
about average for a stock cobra. Most dyno's are rwhp. :rolleyes:

I finally got the DynoJet results for my '03 STOCK Cobra. Particulars 5:37 pm, 7/12/04. 98% humidity, 97 degrees F.
They have the little DynoJet at TrackMasters.
This is a stock 2003 Ford Mustang Cobra with 18,096 miles we bought 3 weeks ago for an UN-Cobra like price. This horse's been run hard and put away wet by somebody else far too often. :mad:
When I got her the Tires were amost square (no joke), she had one out of round wheel, the oil was burnt, trans fluid was burnt, the shifter would not got into any gear without physical force, and worst of all they smoked inside her :chair:

Since this dyno we have fixed her up with new tires Pirelli PZeroNero
Filters K& N FIPK2 and Fram Oil
lubricants, Royal Purple 5-20 Oil and Max ATF.
Flowmaster Exhaust is on order (hope it arrives before next Dyno Day)
And she has been washed inside and out 12 times

Attachments

• GrayCobraDyno.gif
    GrayCobraDyno.gif
    70.5 KB · Views: 193
You sure have had some fine cars

pvteye
pvteye said:
Hi Gray... it is a car, not a temple... I smoke in mine also... looking at your list of vehicles, I see some similar vehicles.... I had a 65 2+2, a 68 Shelby GT500, an 87 GT 5.0, 02 GT Premium and now the 04 Mysti Vert. I also Dyno'd at TrackMasters
history is here... with pics... http://www.geocities.com/scipvteye/wheels.html
work in Huntsville, live in Arab, (not a native)....

It’s my car and I can cry if I want to, cry if I want to. (misquoted old great song) :banana:

I’m transplanted here too, just retired from Redstone (Army) looking for a JOB now.

You have a wicked “Verty. Gor-geous :nice:
Are you Bama Mafia? If not let me know.

I too have had way too many cars. Starting with... oh man DO NOT get me started. See what you did!

1. 66 Chevy SS Impala with 2-speed PowerGlide, SS Cragar Mags and lots of weekends under the hood. Traded for...(My mom ‘n dad were gonna kill me if I didn’t get…
2. Cosworth Vega. (White energy Crisis Car. It started out great then…traded for
3. 1970 Camaro with a 450 HP small block, TuboHD 400 lots of trick (Stolen/Wrecked)
4. 1968 GTO Phase II, 400 CID, His ‘n Her’s Hurst Shifter (Stolen/Wrecked)
5. 1968 Shelby GT350 Coupe, White w/Blue Stripes, stolen after only 2 years, never recovered. (Do you detect a trend here!)
6. 1985 Chevy Caprice 4 door, (College Car) wish it would ‘a been stolen
7. 1988 5.0 LX Coupe, Black, in and out, lots of bolt-on’s. My girl friend wrecked it
8. Married, 1988 Mustang 4 Cyl, with Manual Trans, slow but pretty in Black, sold.
9. 1991 Z-24 Cavalier, Silver and Black. Moved to Germany
10. 1986 Mazda 626 with 5 spd, Blue first really good family car. Sold
11. 1985 Ford LTD II, bought for 10$ no kidding, faded blue paint (Texas car) traded for
12. 1992 Dodge Dakota Pickup (We got a house…) traded for
13. 1996 Nissan Maxima 5 spd, black. My Xx’s favorite car. Sold 3 years later.
14. 1999 Nissan Path Finder SE, great for long range use. Sold for
15. 2000 Mustang GT Verty, Black over Ford Blue. Loved that car, lost it in the divorce.
16. 2001 Ford F150 XLT. Traded for the…
17. 2003 Mineral Greay Cobra Coupe (I love this car) :p

My dad was pretty much a Ford/Lincoln guy and he bough new cars every year or two. He had some really cool one’s too including a ’66 Continental with the suicide doors, ’68 Shelby (yes it was his first) 1968 or ‘69 ‘Cuda with a ‘426 HEMI, and a 1970 Pontiac Trans Am 455 4-spd among others. Even my sister has had a few cool one’s but never a Cobra. I am the first in the family with one of these baby’s.

That should do the trick for you,my friend has a 03 cobra too and with a borla stinger cat-back and KNN CAI.And diablo predator and.dynoed at 405 RWH.I wouldnt worry about your old #s ,theres alot of variables that could of contributed to your last dyno.I'm sure you have a strong motor.I would reccomend the diablo predator to unleash some more power safely with your other goodies....good luck! :nice: :flag: