E-street Heads & Cam?

Stang9597

Jul 20, 2016
KY
I bought a set of Used Edelbrock E-Street heads. Model number 5023. I am completely redoing the entire valve train on the heads with the exception of the guide plates and Exhaust valves. I have read where you can not run a hydraulic roller cam with these heads.. any ideas why? If I redo the heads with a better valve train can I then run a hydraulic roller cam? Any information or tips are appreciated, thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

• E-STREET™ - 170cc FORD FEATURES:
  • Ideal for operating in the idle to 5500 rpm range
  • Use with hydraulic flat tappet camshafts, .550" maximum lift - not compatible with hydraulicroller camshafts

I'm guessing the cheap valve springs won't handle the steep lobes on a roller cam. Everyone says to replace those springs anyway.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm guessing the cheap valve springs won't handle the steep lobes on a roller cam. Everyone says to replace those springs anyway.
That's kinda what I'm thinking. The flat tappet springs can't handle the ramp rate of a hyd cam. I can't think of anything else that'd be different.

@Stang9597 since you bought used aluminum heads be sure to get them checked out at a machine shop to ensure they're straight and in good shape (magnafluxed and milled to ensure a flat surface)

The heads are good.. and I am replacing the valve springs so do you think if I replace those I'll be good for a hyd. Roller?? Cause they are so much more advanced than flat tappet.. it's like using a yeti over a thermos.. lol. Thermos still works but yeti has won everyone over

The heads are good.. and I am replacing the valve springs so do you think if I replace those I'll be good for a hyd. Roller?? Cause they are so much more advanced than flat tappet.. it's like using a yeti over a thermos.. lol. Thermos still works but yeti has won everyone over
Call Edelbrock and ask them. I've called them before and it's not difficult to get a knowledgeable human being on the phone.

As long as you upgrade to the proper springs,locks & retainers,etc you can run a roller cam. What are these going on/into? Foxbody or ? If you're trying to use them on a foxbody I highly recommend selling them and buying some tfs/AFR heads. For the money you're going to have to invest(few hundred $$) for the valvetrain, I would imagine you could sell them and save the cash towards a good head.

For example the TFS 170's are around 1150$ new and usually can be found for around 700$ on the used market.

Called edel... turns out the springs have nothing to do with it.. the valve seat has some kind of coated metal and if you run a hyd. Roller you will bounce the valves.. looks like I'm stuck with flat tappet.. and recommendations on a cam?? Thanks!

Not again...

Use at your own risk.

Wasting your time/money IMO. Saving a few bucks at the beginning(like having to use a flat tappet cam-because heads are wrong in the first place) you're going to have a poor outcome. Are you going to stay fuel injected? Need to keep a roller cam. Ohhh and there are probably 20 more reasons/problems with the path your headed.

i don't get why folks go through the time, effort, and money to install "budget" parts on their car, and then wonder why they are unhappy with the results. Whatever you spent, you do realize that heads are the most important part you part of the engine, and by starting off with a cheap set of heads you are seriously limiting the amount of performance. Why not sell those heads, save up the money until you can buy a set of decent heads and match the cam, carb, and the rest of the motor instead of throwing together a bunch of randomly selected parts to make it "work".

Not trying to beat the OP up, but I've seen this story too many times and then 6 months down the road the guy is tearing the motor apart again because you always find the money to do it right the second time.

The E-Street heads are not necessarily cheap heads... they are the 6025 casting which is the performer head casting, just with a cheap valve train installed.. which I am replacing at the moment

You can lead a horse to water but......:scratch: he'll only pi$$

What these nice gentlemen are trying to relay, is by the time you pay for the not so cheap heads and upgrade the valvetrain you have defeated the purpose of not opted for Trickflow or AFR.

E- Street are closer to SVE heads IMO :stick: not necessarily cheap = doesn't equal good.

Too each their own, but research and asking informative question would of saved more money and time.

Last edited: