Easy Questions - new 5.0 owner

twogts4us

15 Year Member
Apr 1, 2004
Dunedin, FL
Hey guys, my son just bought his first ride, a 92 LX vert 5.0L. We wanted to do some basic PM and I don't know what weight of oil to run in it - what does Ford recommend and what do you guys recommend. The car has around 80K miles on it and is in very good shape. Oh, and is the filter a FL-1A (Motorcraft)? That is one thing I think I can recall correctly from days ago...

Thanks! :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

Hey guys, my son just bought his first ride, a 92 LX vert 5.0L. We wanted to do some basic PM and I don't know what weight of oil to run in it - what does Ford recommend and what do you guys recommend. The car has around 80K miles on it and is in very good shape. Oh, and is the filter a FL-1A (Motorcraft)? That is one thing I think I can recall correctly from days ago...

Thanks! :nice:

correct filter. 10w30 oil

Don't forget both drain plugs.

Some dipsticks are mismarked. If yours is, you can scribe a new FULL line on it.

FWIW, IIRC Ford retroactively recommended 5W-20 for the 5.0. No one runs it but that is what they suggest as I recall.

Don't forget both drain plugs.

Some dipsticks are mismarked. If yours is, you can scribe a new FULL line on it.

FWIW, IIRC Ford retroactively recommended 5W-20 for the 5.0. No one runs it but that is what they suggest as I recall.

Great info - I didn't know that they used 2 drain plugs - weird. I recall hearing some guys talking about having to scribe an accurate full line on their dip sticks on these cars, so I'll be sure to check that out as well. I'll stick with 10W-30 which seems to be the consensus.

Oh, and there is this round thing at the front of the engine with all these thick wires coming out of it...never seem one of these...:rolleyes::rlaugh:

My first car back in the day was a 1973 Mach 1, so fortunately I do know how to operate a timing light, etc.

Man, the room inside the engine compartment is awesome. I could actually swap the headers without having to drop the K member and jack up the engine. :nice:

Thanks again guys...looking forward to working on the old school ride.