Electrical eec-iv monitor items

Magnet86

5 Year Member
Jul 21, 2018
Hagerstown, MD
Hello:

I've noticed a variety of eec-iv monitor manuals online for sale lately. Does anyone have any advice for what these are and which might help for a 1986 GT? It appears there are manuals for different engines. What should there be with the manuals? Overlays and whatnot I believe but I want to make sure before I purchase this stuff. Some of the sellers don't really know what they have. So they are no help.
Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

If you can provide a list of what you want to buy, it would make it easier to give you an informed response.
I don't know what these are:
1. eec-iv monitor manuals
2. Overlays and whatnot

I have lots of whatnot's for sale. What are you offering for them?

Here's a book that will get you started with how the Ford electronic engine control or "computer" works.

Ford Fuel Injection & Electronic Engine Control 1988-1993 by Charles Probst :ISBN 0-8376-0301-3.

It's about $25-$50 from Borders.com see http://www.amazon.com/ . Select books and then select search. Use the ISBN number (without dashes or spaces) to do a search. Try searching using M-1832-Z1 instead of the ISBN number if you don’t get any positive results. You may only be able to find a used one, since the book is as old as the cars it covers. Or you order it from your Ford dealer as SVO part no. M-1832-Z1.

Use the ISBN number and your local library can get you a loaner copy for free. Only thing is you are limited to keeping the book for two weeks. It is very good, and I found it to be very helpful.

Reactions: 1 user
I already have that book. I also have the EEC-IV Rotunda EEC-IV Monitor testing device. Its an actual Ford factory dealership test tool. Surprised no one has heard of these things on here. There are manuals that address various engines Ford produced using the EEC system. I don't need the carb book or the CFI book, rather I need the EFI book. The current seller has no idea what should and what should not be with the manual. The manual gives directions of how to test the EEC system more specifically than say a breakout box or just using a multimeter. Makes a nice addition to the factory shop manuals as well. There are plastic overlays that attach to the Monitor to test certain components and issues. Nice piece of hardware.

Manual #3 is the EFI/SFI one. Should be plastic sleeves at front of manual that hold 8 each of the overlays for the monitor. Believe the one I have has approx 20 overlays. Different years, FI with and without mass air cars and trucks. The overlays work with the monitor, IR sensors in monitor can tell which holes in overlay are blocked and set up monitor accordingly. Monitor hooks up between computer and car wiring harness and lets you pretty much see volts and or ohms for every sensor and the injectors, key on engine off or on. Pretty nice tool actually. Price has been steadily going up on these the past few years. Make sure you get the overlays with the manual, or the machine is much less usefull.
1986 5.0L SEFI SD
Listed as 86, 87-88 5.0L SFI Mustang, Capri (1984-86), Overlay #17

Last edited: