Engine EGR not hooked up. CEL on

79pace

something stupid will fall out of my mouth
Founding Member
Jul 21, 2000
Tulsa, OK
Ok, I have the plug hooked up to the EGR but the EGR is laying back hanging. The side of my spacer has a block off plate. What are the ill effects from this? I have the factory A9L so cant turn off the CEL. Is this causing the car to run poorly? I have a few issues I am trying to work out in how it idles and just crispness in general but want to know how most handle this. Should I put a new EGR on it and not hook everything up? The exhaust ports on the back of the heads have been plugged and there is no smog stuff on this car. At some point in the future I will scrape up the money to put another ECU in it but for now I just want to make sure and do whats best with what I have. Oh I also have the canister purge solenoid connector hanging loose and not hooked to anything.

• Sponsors (?)

I have completely removed the charcoal canister and all associated parts. So just put the valve back on the plug? EGR is basically disassembled also. Just the sensor is plugged in, not hooked to anything though.

:doh:
Do you still have the charcoal canister so you can put it back, even in a less obvious place? The gas tank has to vent somewhere. You might as well burn off the fumes rather than breathe them directly.

I don't have it. I could find one but the tube for the vent is still under the hood so its venting underneath. I am not getting any raw fuel smells and I would rather not put the canister back in place. It is not necessary for the engine to run correctly. I am just wanting to figure out whether not having the purge sensor is causing the computer to do something it shouldn't.

Everything you have eliminated has irritated the computer. The computer is calibrated to cruise with these devices on and shut of at full throttle.

I cannot say for sure what the EECIV computer does when it gets all these emission equipment errors. I think the right codes will keep it in open loop. I can say for sure my former race car runs like it is much happier with everything in place and functioning at least close to Ford’s intent. It still accelerates as quickly. It is much less dramatic or wild until the throttle is pushed hard.

Gotcha, What I am trying to figure out is can I just hook back up the solenoid and make the computer happy. I am not going to re install all of the smog equipment. Its gone. If I have to I will either get a tune done to eliminate the problems, buy a new computer or find away around. I see too many cars with all of the same things removed. There is a solution. I am just trying to determine the best route and if the codes are causing ill effects right now. I appreciate the advise but I am hoping that someone here has either already been through this or know for sure what the computer is doing without this stuff.

None of that will cause your car to run poorly, but eliminating the EGR without turning it off in the tune can some slight issues at cruise that might or might not be noticeable.
I know you don't want to put the charcoal canister back on but I would highly recommend getting it working. I had a small pin hole in the plastic line that goes from the tank to the canister and could smell fuel 6' away from car and it made my garage reek of fuel. I can't image what it smells like completely disconnected.

The computer is looking for input from the devices. Hooking up the solenoid until you go with a MS system is sure worth a try. Figuring out what value of resistor to insert would also probably also pacify the computer.
Then the most likely effect is it will run slightly leaner while cruising, so listen for part throttle detonation.

So for the vent tube and safety, it is still venting fumes, especially when the gas tank is warm. I would not want it doing so into the engine compartment if something sparks, like a leaky ignition wire on that bank. In my pre-emissions cars, the tank vents from a small line that’s higher than the tank. One vents off the filler neck. The other has a solid line loop that goes up about as high in the trunk as possible and ends back at the rear frame rail.
If you are interested in being even safer, there are roll over safety valves for fuel cells that would help keep the fuel from pouring out your open vent line.

If the CEL is on for the EGR, it disabled the EGR in the A9L's logic. It's essentially off.

Making the car run like crap? It's likely due to vacuum leaks or improper way of "deleting" stuff.

Reactions: 1 user
Thats what I am trying to figure out. So should I completely un hook the egr? The sensor is connected but no piping hooked to it and its off the spacer laying back behind everything. No vacuum leaks. Have been over everything 50 times but will re check everything. The only things gone are the smog pump, cross pipe between the heads, purge solenoid and the egr delete plate. everything else is in place and connected.

I will look into putting the charcoal canister back if that makes everyone happy but its been gone for a long time and you cannot smell any fuel from the car. Smells clean.

Thats what I am trying to figure out. So should I completely un hook the egr? The sensor is connected but no piping hooked to it and its off the spacer laying back behind everything. No vacuum leaks. Have been over everything 50 times but will re check everything. The only things gone are the smog pump, cross pipe between the heads, purge solenoid and the egr delete plate. everything else is in place and connected.

Yes. If the EGR is completely disconnected , then unplug the sensor. It will turn the CEL on (I think it's already on anyway) but it will disable the function in the ECU.

Ok, Currently its plugged in but still pulling a code. Its in pretty bad shape. Was dented pretty bad to clear the FPR at some point. I will unplug it completely possibly just sending bad info to the car at the moment rather than no info at all.

Here's the resistors to make EGR happy

Attachments

• EGR_eliminator_1491144891209.gif
    EGR_eliminator_1491144891209.gif
    4.6 KB · Views: 65
Awesome. I will do this. I looked around last night and I must have junked the old purge valve and canister. I will either have to make a trip to the salvage or buy new stuff. I was wrong on where I had sent the vent tube though. I was smarter than I thought I guess. I forgot I had put a small filter on the end of it and put it inside the fender well venting near the vacuum pod. It was not under the hood. But I did pull it out and make sure it was all good. I will see if I can hook that stuff back up when I get it. But I will definitely be doing the EGR resistor thing. That looks pretty straight forward.

• Happy
Ok, Now I am slightly confused. I found a purge solenoid last night but I did not think it was for my car but now I think it may be. On a 93 is it down by the charcoal canister and have a rectangular plug? Because I also have a round plug Y'd in with the ETC just above the passenger valve cover that I thought went to the evap system? So did I unhook two things? What goes to that plug? It looks almost like the ACT sensor plug and is basically the same length wire. But I found a photo that appears to show the purge solenoid I have and it is hanging down near the canister. Does someone have some good photos of how all that stuff was hooked up originally and of whatever is suppose to be on the plug up by the ACT?