• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech

Electrical woes

  • Thread starter Thread starter LEE93COBRA
  • Start date Start date Jan 19, 2004

LEE93COBRA

New Member
Apr 12, 2000
1,929
0
0
Alabama
Jan 19, 2004
#1
  • Jan 19, 2004
  • #1
Hey guys I purchased a 94 GT AODE this weekend. Decent buy but the car does need some work.

One of the problems I am having is electrical. Are their any common electrical problems in these cars. Speedo and tach work but the odometer and other gauges do not. Using anything that draws a good bit of current (HVAC, headlights, or pressing the brake pedal) will cause the gauges to jump or lights dim. Also p/mirrors and p/ seat do not work. I do not have a owner's manual yet to check the appropriate fuses. Airbag light stays on.

-Lee
 

SaltWaterFish

Founding Member
Jan 6, 2002
208
0
17
Cedar Rapids, IA
Jan 19, 2004
#2
  • Jan 19, 2004
  • #2
First, I would go buy a Chilton's or a Haynes manual or both.

Second I would check all the fuses and inspect as much of the wiring as possable looking for splices, cracks, or brakes in the wires. Check all electrical connections and make sure there are good grounds. I would guess they had a aftermarket stereo setup and hacked up the harness to get it to work.

Blown fuses will give you a place to start looking. Good luck!
 
9

95GTMAN

New Member
Nov 5, 2002
839
0
0
Jan 19, 2004
#3
  • Jan 19, 2004
  • #3
Lee I have the Service manual for 94-95's if you need to borrow it. Also withthe seats it may just be that the motor is burnt up. Have you checked to make sure that the switch for the mirrors is goods. And also fo rthe air bag there is a box behind the radio that you usually have to replace when the air bags have been deployed. Just PM me on the board if you wold like to borrow my service manual.
 
R

rockin_rick

Member
Oct 9, 2003
968
1
17
Jan 19, 2004
#4
  • Jan 19, 2004
  • #4
The airbad light is actually flashing error codes at startup. See this page for plenty of airbag diagnostics:

http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/airBag/airBag95.html

I was getting a code when I first bought my car a couple years ago. It ended up being that the harness coming out of the airbag module was a little corroded. I took it off and cleaned the connectors, and no more codes. And the best part is a correctly working airbag system. Good for piece of mind.

Rick
 
9

95GTMAN

New Member
Nov 5, 2002
839
0
0
Jan 20, 2004
#5
  • Jan 20, 2004
  • #5
rockin_rick said:
The airbad light is actually flashing error codes at startup. See this page for plenty of airbag diagnostics:

http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/airBag/airBag95.html

I was getting a code when I first bought my car a couple years ago. It ended up being that the harness coming out of the airbag module was a little corroded. I took it off and cleaned the connectors, and no more codes. And the best part is a correctly working airbag system. Good for piece of mind.

Rick
Click to expand...


Yeah, but he bought this car from MPS as a project car so more than likely it was wrecked, and they fixed and sold it. So I bet he needs a new module or the clock spring brike.
 

LEE93COBRA

New Member
Apr 12, 2000
1,929
0
0
Alabama
Jan 20, 2004
#6
  • Jan 20, 2004
  • #6
95GTMAN said:
Yeah, but he bought this car from MPS as a project car so more than likely it was wrecked, and they fixed and sold it. So I bet he needs a new module or the clock spring brike.
Click to expand...


actually this car was a trade in, not one of their rebuilds.
I would like to borrow that book you have Brandon.
 
9

95GTMAN

New Member
Nov 5, 2002
839
0
0
Jan 20, 2004
#7
  • Jan 20, 2004
  • #7
LEE93COBRA said:
actually this car was a trade in, not one of their rebuilds.
I would like to borrow that book you have Brandon.
Click to expand...

Dam they had one that they haven't rebuilt. OK I will see if I can meet up with Brian sometime this week or something.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

D
Speedo and tach dead
  • Davinrobinson1
  • Jul 19, 2026
  • 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech
Replies
14
Views
293
1994 - 1995 Specific Tech Jul 26, 2026
fasterthangas
F
8
Grounding issue?
  • 86SilverFox
  • May 16, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
4
Views
199
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- May 31, 2026
86SilverFox
8
D
Progress Thread Calypso Green 92 LX Hatchback
  • Dakar09
  • May 18, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
19
Views
714
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 13, 2026
rednotch
T
2002 V6 3.8L Help Me
  • TheIncompetentMechanic
  • Apr 4, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • 2 3
Replies
50
Views
1K
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- May 12, 2026
TheIncompetentMechanic
T
P
Electrical 1988 GT Wrong Cluster- causing electrical issues?
  • pindude80
  • May 6, 2025
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
3
Views
369
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech May 6, 2025
pindude80
P
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?