• Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech

Emg brake cables to short

  • Thread starter Thread starter 73vertstang
  • Start date Start date May 18, 2008

73vertstang

New Member
Nov 21, 2007
56
0
0
Mt Airy Maryland
May 18, 2008
#1
  • May 18, 2008
  • #1
After 2 months on jack stands, my 73 is back (temp) on all four hoofs. I rebuilt the rear (New bearings, seals, disk brake conversion, new bushings, paint) I replaced the emg brake cables but with the new rear disk brakes I'm about four to six inches short from making it work. Any suggestion??
 
G

Grabber70Mach

Member
Jul 6, 2003
305
0
17
Indian Head, MD
May 18, 2008
#2
  • May 18, 2008
  • #2
Not sure of which rear conversion you used, I used the Vintage Venom kit.
It uses the SN95 cables and you cut the stock ends off the front, then use a length of wire cable and two cable clamps each side to make up the difference.
 

Rusty67

20+ Year Stangneter
Dec 3, 2002
3,749
37
109
LA, CA
May 18, 2008
#3
  • May 18, 2008
  • #3
What kind of disc brakes did you use on the rear ?
 

73vertstang

New Member
Nov 21, 2007
56
0
0
Mt Airy Maryland
May 18, 2008
#4
  • May 18, 2008
  • #4
I used the SSB with 10 inch rotars, I guess what you telling me is that I will need to splice in few inches to make them work. This will be another adventure, seems every
job is being a problem. It was a hell of alot easer taking it all a part, but then the real trick IS putting it all back together !!! LOL
 
6

67rcks

Member
Feb 20, 2008
373
0
17
May 21, 2008
#5
  • May 21, 2008
  • #5
73vertstang said:
I used the SSB with 10 inch rotars, I guess what you telling me is that I will need to splice in few inches to make them work. This will be another adventure, seems every
job is being a problem. It was a hell of alot easer taking it all a part, but then the real trick IS putting it all back together !!! LOL
Click to expand...

I think the easiest and more productive way is to dump the old cables and foot pedal, get SN95 cables at a junk yard, or whatever cables that came with calipers you have, and some universal hand brake lever. I have no idea if you could find the longer cables by that exact length +- up to 1/4" to go with the foot pedal. An option is to measure the cables in a part store for a fit but I bet folks there won't have patience with you
 

Rusty67

20+ Year Stangneter
Dec 3, 2002
3,749
37
109
LA, CA
May 21, 2008
#6
  • May 21, 2008
  • #6
New cables maybe, but why ditch the foot pedal unless you don't like it ?
 
6

67rcks

Member
Feb 20, 2008
373
0
17
May 22, 2008
#7
  • May 22, 2008
  • #7
Rusty67 said:
New cables maybe, but why ditch the foot pedal unless you don't like it ?
Click to expand...

The foot pedal is hard (I would say impossible without pedal modification) to relocate in case he did not find proper cables, which I think is very likely. So instead I suggested hand brake which can be installed anywhere on the tunnel to use whatever cable he has. On the second thought I guess he may be able to use existing cables if placing the hand brake between left door and seat (if only its length is a problem)
 

Rusty67

20+ Year Stangneter
Dec 3, 2002
3,749
37
109
LA, CA
May 22, 2008
#8
  • May 22, 2008
  • #8
I follow you. I just think that it is more work to change out the parking brake actuator then it is to get correct/custom length cables. Now if you don't like the foot pedal, then I'm with you 100%

As for me, I'll be puting in a Farrari/Porsche style parking brake to the left of my drivers seat =)
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

2000 GT-Front Brakes Not Releasing
  • stormsedge
  • Aug 7, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
5
Views
173
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Aug 7, 2026
Bronco2fan
B
S
Fox Another try for the European guy to get his first Fox
  • Schargedfox
  • Aug 3, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
10
Views
315
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Aug 4, 2026
DadLife0724
Cobra Brake Conversion - Spare Wheel/Tire Search
  • AeroCoupe
  • Aug 2, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
7
Views
394
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 2, 2026
AeroCoupe
B
Where to go from here on my build…
  • B0udreaux
  • Jul 14, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
8
Views
343
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jul 18, 2026
AeroCoupe
J
2004 Mustang 3.8L V6 vibrations above 65 MPH and differential leaks
  • joeybuddy96
  • Mar 16, 2026
  • SN95 V6 Mustang Tech
Replies
17
Views
832
SN95 V6 Mustang Tech Aug 29, 2026
joeybuddy96
J
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?