Engine Build Advise

Hi Everyone! I am new on this forum but Ive been an active member on other forums for years, and I need some advise . I have a 94 mustang gt. Its a 306 now, has TFS stage1 cam, CAI, UD pulleys, MSD blaster coil, cap, rotor and wires, no cats basically thats it.

Im looking to increase power and torque but I want to stay N/A. What is the best advise you can give me, should I go stroker first than add a H/C/I combo?

• Sponsors (?)

Budget? Goals? Intended use? If stock heads are still present that's where I'd start. You'll pick up the most out of a good h/c/i package with the appropriate supporting items like MAF,fuel pump&inj,exhaust,etc. a stroker without the proper topend will run like a dog. Gotta breathe! To make power.

ok well the car will be used ocasionally for drag racing but mostly as a weekend cruiser. I would be happy with 300-350 hp range. Mmmm the budget, jeje doesnt matter that much im keeping this car forever. I live overseas so if I sell it i wont find ever a similar one.

I still have the heavy iron stock heads and stock intake but like you said I can start with a H/C/I combo like the one trickflow offers. I guess 24lb injectors and MAF would be a good match with it after. Also some 3.73 gears to get some better acceleration. The idea of going stroker is what has me thinking if I should do it, and if i do where to get it from

ok well the car will be used ocasionally for drag racing but mostly as a weekend cruiser. I would be happy with 300-350 hp range. Mmmm the budget, jeje doesnt matter that much im keeping this car forever. I live overseas so if I sell it i wont find ever a similar one.

I still have the heavy iron stock heads and stock intake but like you said I can start with a H/C/I combo like the one trickflow offers. I guess 24lb injectors and MAF would be a good match with it after. Also some 3.73 gears to get some better acceleration. The idea of going stroker is what has me thinking if I should do it, and if i do where to get it from
The Tfs kit usually puts about 275-300rwhp and is a solid option. If you want more like the 325+ range you'll need better topend likethe new 11r tfs heads teamed with a better cam and intake. Also at that power range you would need 30# inj IMO. 24's will be on the ragged edge. Now the best way would be to stroke it AND size the topend to that combo. Plenty of 331-347's out there making 350-400rwhp. DO NOT buy 302 sized parts and put together a 331-347! You will be disappointed. Good luck with your project.

Reactions: 1 user
There really isn't a this is best answer. For a 331 I would look for
-205 to 210 runner size on the heads
-a intake that matches the power range of the cam you choose. A long runner intake makes better torque a short runner or "bread box" intake is better up top. But a 331 will make torque regardless.
-30lb injectors or better and a high volume pump 225lph
-MAF larger than your throttle body 90mm Lmaf is a good option.
- if you choose to get a custom cam (which would be my recommendation) buy your heads and intake, the cam will be ground for your combo.
-have it all tuned or mega squirt

Depends on your budget. I personally wouldn't do a stroker kit with less than a 205cc head. I currently have a 192cc head on my stroker; learned from my mistakes. The stock heads are holding you back. If you want to go cheap, throw a set of TF 170cc heads on it with a Cobra intake. Swapping the cam is a lot more work. That would get you to about 280rwhp. If you want more, go the TF 2 cam and a set of 185cc heads with a better intake.

Kurt