Engine Build up H/C/I, questions.

So I have decided that maybe I need to get the top half of this thing a bit more radical. I have no power, maybe it is just me and I have rode in faster cars but to me... this thing is slow as hell, I would like to keep it N/A. This is what I was going to do...

3.73's
1.6 roller rockers
Cam suggestions?
Accufab 65mm T/B
C&L Cold Air Intake w/75mm mass meter
Steeda Tri Ax Shifter

I would like to port and mill my GT40 Heads... need some suggestions
or should I just buy some aluminum Trick Flow Heads.

Do you think that I need to beef up my clutch or tranny? What kinda numbers will I be making? And finally what do you think this will get me in the quarter?

• Sponsors (?)

So your pushing feeding your combo through the stock TB? BOTTLENECK When I first put on the thumper heads and edelbrock intake, I felt a difference but when the 70mm tb cam in, it woke it up like ice water on a pit bull. I would suggest:

Accufab 70mm TB
C&L 76MM MAF system.
Send the heads to thumper, and get a spring upgrade while you are at it.
Do a custom cam or at least a reputable comp cam.
3.73 gears
Shifter
Get it tuned
Hold on.

Well price it out first. How much would the shipping of your heads be and how much does he want for porting and what are the #'s the heads will actually flow? Personally, I would just get a set of new aluminum heads. And the throttle body might be worth a couple HP but I would definetely not call it a bottleneck. Heres some dyno runs from a book I have:

5.0 - Mods:
X303 Cam
Extrude Hone Ported Dart Windsor Heads (milled to 53cc) - 2.02/1.60 valves
Extrude Hone Ported GT-40 Intake
24# injectors
ProM 77mm MAF
1 5/8in Shorty Headers
2 1/2 H-Pipe & Flowmasters
1.6 Crane RR

-------60mm----65mm----70mm----75mm
2000---99-------100------100------99
2400---118------120------119------120
2800---150------151------150------151
3200---188------184------187------185
3600---230------229------230------228
4000---268------269------266------265
4400---303------307------307------305
4800---319------323------321------320
5200---333------334------333------334
5600---327------327------327------327
6000---319------320------321------313

These #'s are from an engine dyno, and as you can see very close.

BTW, i wouldnt necessarily get an "AccuFab" throttle body, unless thats what you really wanted for some reason. I've ran a BBK one before and it was perfect, I've ran stock before, obviously fine, ran Accufab, was just fine, and now am runnin a ProProducts and couldnt be happier with it.

I like everything in that combination except for the X303 Cam.. am I going to be able to still have good vacuum and everything is going to be streetable? I would like to get some aluminum heads but they are expensive and I figured if i could just port and mill my gt40's maybe I would benifit from them just as much except for the weight of the cast iron.

also, do I have to run 24# injectors... or would it just be a good idea too?

do it 1nce and do it right or not at all i learn this the hard way and lost alot of money. set your self a goal and reasearch everything then buy it all or you will be chasing your tail

It would take quite a bit of good porting to get the #'s of AFR's or TFS. or even Edelbrocks or Holleys for that matter. You MAY not need to upgrade the injectors if you keep those heads, but if you were to upgrade those heads then DEFINETELY SHOULD (heard of a couple usin stock injectors but not a great idea). I wasnt really recommending the x303, just posted to show the differences in some dyno #'s between the tb's. Im sure there are better cams out there that you can go with that others should chime in with.

as for porting, around here, it runs about $500 and thats still not jumping the flow numbers up there with the aftermarket aluminum heads. then + milling + valve springs + valves + valve seals + assembly. For not much more, if at all, you can have your self some aluminum heads that will save about 50lbs off the front end which about equates to about 5hp equivalent in the 1/4. So thats like adding a another 5 hp mod that your not able to achieve with the irons, so the difference should be even less considerin most mods are in the $150 range and give about that much of a gain (some less, some more).

Ill probably get flamed some for this last bit of post since some will probably not understand what im tryin to say, kinda hard to put into words.