Engine build up question?

bagel77

Oct 4, 2003
Okay I am doing this for a friend. He has a sweet a$$ 93 gt convertable. He has a STOCK motor set up exept for the cam he is running a E303 and 1.6 roller rockers. STOCK exhaust with an off road h pipe. He is thinking about doing some mods. Exhaust is a given..headers back. He was thinking about heads and a BBK SSI intake w/70mm throttle body. He was wondering if this intake would be a problem with his strut tower brace? Also looking for suggestions on heads/valve sizes. Does he need to up grade his MAF? if so what size? Would a chip be nesssary? Looking for any suggestions thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

tell him to just get a top end kit. trickflow, holley, ford racing, edelbrock. all are tried and true. trickflow is a pretty popular one. it's one of the most complete kits available. should put him upwards of 290-300rwhp. why does he have an E cam in a stock motor?

Don't know why he did it but he did. I told him any intake or head change would help bring the cam to life. I told him he is starving the motor with everything being stock and that cam

Ask your buddy how much he is willing to spend?

A chip will not be necessary. Just some basic timing and fuel pressure adjustments should be no problem.

Keep it simple its a vert ! .............build for grunt
Keep the E cam get a cheapy set of Ebay GT40P heads and Intake, it comes with a 65 throttle body he can use. get some headers and a cat-back and some 3.90's or 4.10's and he will be thrilled. trust me no need to go overboard here!!!!!!!!!!!

He is looking to spend about 2000.--2500 . That is why I suggested heads and intake. He was thinking super charger but we talk about it and I said he would be better off with intake, heads, cold air intake tube (no he doesn't have one of these either...told you it was stock) and exhaust...maybe a blower later on. anyone know about the bbk intake and the strut tower brace?

Simple would be good but I think he is dead set on putting some money into it....I told him to keep the E cam....he was talking about going to an X cam today. I told him I thought that might be to much.

lol that is way too much.

I would get away from the letter cams. I prefer the TFS Stage 1 cam for a street car.

The BBK intake isn't all that great IMHO. It gets decent numbers, but it's complex, huge and expensive. I'd stick with a simple plenum intake.

If i had to do it all over again, i'd get a kit like the Holley systemmax kit of the TFS kit which comes with all matched components.

Sounds like your buddy isn't thinking of a matched setup considering he wants to run an X cam with stock heads. Thats a huge mismatch considering the heads don't breathe at high RPM and that cam needs RPM to make power

For what its worth keep the E cam ! However I run an Xcam with stock heads an Xcellerator carb intake with a 650dp and 4.30's in my daily driver it runs 13.0@108on drag radials. But I wouldn't recommend that to a customer its a bit much to take at closing time!

Keep it simple its a vert ! .............build for grunt
Keep the E cam get a cheapy set of Ebay GT40P heads and Intake, it comes with a 65 throttle body he can use. get some headers and a cat-back and some 3.90's or 4.10's and he will be thrilled. trust me no need to go overboard here!!!!!!!!!!!

Punisher is right.

The e-cam works pretty well for ported stockish setups.

We have a vert in the shop with a stock bottom end (92), ported e7s, ported typhoon intake, e-cam with 1.7s, 1 5/8 shorties to magnaflows.

With a AOD/TCI converter it made 256rwhp

buying gt40 stuff is putting money in it and it also money well spent, if he wants to spend alot of dough let him. tell him to put 165 AFR's on it leave the E cam and get a Cobra intake with 24's stuff some headers a cat back and 4.10's in it and hang on ! there money was spent, car goes fast everybody wins!!!!!!!!!!!!!