Engine Computer Codes

tr7driver

Sep 5, 2006
Illinois
Is there a way to read the computer codes on the 4.6 V8 without a tuner or computer hook up? On my old Toyota you could jumper 2 terminals and the computer would flash the engine light in sequence to give you the code. My check engine light came on this morning and I don't think I can make it to the shop before they close, but I'd like to know what is going on.

There are no messages flashing on the display, and the car runs fine. I might take it AutoZone and have them read it, but I don't want to clear any codes before the dealer sees it for warranty work.

Thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

Report Back/rant -- Sorry, don't take it persoally

I took it to a local auto parts store that could read the codes but had no idea what they were. Went to the dealer, and they replaced a throttle control under warranty. It took them about an hour to remove the part and replace it. Not designed to be fixed.

I have to say I'm a little disappointed with the lack of responses to this thread, or that no one here has figured more details on how these cars actually work. :notnice: Fellas, in the next year to two, many of us will be out of warranty and will have to figure this stuff out, take boxes of money to the dealers for service, or our cars will become another throw away product. Trading them will become the alternative of choice, but that is not an acceptable option for me. Some of you have to be doing this but not responding to this forum. I can't imagine all we can do here is bolt things on.

Nothing personal here, Just a call to get on top of how these cars work. Maybe I'm just on the wrong list. Anyone want to help?