Engine Plans For A Dd

Some of you may know my story, but for whoever doesn't:

college student with his first Fox, an '88LX. I've done minor work, front A arms, front lowering springs, steering rack, some engine brackets, so just minor stuff.

I have struts, shocks, CC plates, a Borla exhaust, (and need to find new headers) that I will be putting in within the next month.
I have a new clutch that needs to be put in soon as well.

I have two questions, dealing with some direction decisions and I would like some opinions.
After my suspension and exhaust is finished I will turn to transmission and engine work.

1.) I am thinking of having someone rebuild my trans for me, unless it really is as easy as I have read to pull the trans and rebuild it.....
Put the new clutch in, and replace the typical trans part, throw out bearing, etc etc
I also would like it rebuilt to handle power, so forged internals?
My plan is to not have to worry about my trans when I upgrade the motor
I'm not sure what my engine power limits are, but probably upwards of 400hp, but that could change

Now my current thought in regards to motor work is this:
Currently this car is my DD, so I will do only quick bolt on mods for now...
To me this means a MAF conversion, throttle body, CAI, and intake manifolds, U/D pulleys and that's about all I can come up with right now.

In a little under 2 years I'll be graduating from College and plan to get a different DD and then make my Fox into less of a DD and put more power into it.

2.) I'm thinking of buying a second motor and put it on a stand. Then slowly take it apart and clean it up real nice. Maybe bore it out a bit and start replacing pretty much everything. Then I'd focus on putting power into that motor while still being able to drive the car.

Does this seem like a decent plan? if So I'd be looking into getting that second motor over the summer and start taking it apart and learning and cleaning. But not buy anything for it until my DD has the basics done to it's motor.

Just a bunch of questions. What did you guys do? etc etc
(I'm bored at work...so I wrote this up)

• Sponsors (?)

I wouldnt waste your time getting a different motor or forged internals. The stock rotating assembly far exceeds the limits of the block itself, so rock what you got! Make a list and stick to it. One part at a time is the way to go in my opinion. There is no reason that you can't add heads and a cam in the future, they will not affect the dependability of your daily.. Understand that the t-5 is on borrowed time once you start upgrading the motor, but call last as long if you don't drive it like you stole it.

Let's put it this way I'm putting my t5 back into my 347 which cranked 410hp now remember gas motors arent like electric motors if you can keep your lead foot off the pedal you can make a t5 survive a 600hp motor the only reason I'm re using my t5 and not going tko600 is money and I want to get it back on the road really.

A T-5 will probably handle a pretty healthy 302/306 if you don't speed shift third gear. If you stroke it, s/c, or turbo it, the T-5 is on borrowed time. My T-5 is currently bleeding fluid all over the exhaust...still in one piece, but obviously being hurt...

Reactions: 1 user
I broke 3rd gear two times... Once in a g force t-5....just be easy on the shifting you will be fine. The two I broke was because of the way I drive.. No mercy:)..t-5's can be had for a couple hundred bucks.. No biggie. I spent 2k on the g-force, broke just like a stocker.

This may be a stupid question, but why 3rd? Is it just simply the more of a load on the trans?
I was told by Bob Hanlon (the t-5guru) that 3rd gear has the least support because it is in the middle of the case. And the shaft will flex enough that the gears will basically jump a tooth and shear off half of the teeth on the gear. This is exactly what both of my 3rd gear blasts looked like.

I wouldn't worry about MAF until you make up your mind on final HP numbers. There is no way with "standard" bolt ons on your stock block 302 that you're going to exceed NA 300 rwhp. Stick with speed density until you know what exactly you want. SD will handle CAI, upper/lower intake and headers/exhaust. Once you get a bigger cam, lifters and big aluminum heads and injectors then you need to convert to MAF.

If you're going to build a 400 rwhp engine while DD'ing your mustang then yes, get another engine to build, do a forged rotating assembly and take your time. You only want to build it once so if you decide to force feed your engine in the future you won't have to split the block again.

That was my thinking. I do MAF, CAI, upper/lower intake, full exhaust, and some pulleys before I call it "finished". Finished with the "simple" stuff. At that point I would then start to think of getting into the heavy mods.

I don't see any reason to not having a motor chillin somewhere where I can slowly tear it down, clean it, and replace pretty much everything. Chances are I'd supercharge it as well.

Then the initial decision becomes what motor do I want to put in? Just another 302 and bore it out? Go up to a 347 stroker or a 351. That is a whole different topic.

And I'd have to do some reading before making that decision.