engine pops in the headers, and no power? help please. dont know what it is

dderek

Feb 29, 2004
well. this has been happening for a while. it comes and goes when it feels like it... awefully weird.
it will start popping and jumping at low rpms. it sounds like its popping in my headers by the engine. and accel very slowly, popping and jumping around.. but once it gets to 2,500-3,000rpms it will just KICK in right and hauls major ass.

it had this problem when i bought the car.. then i swapped a bunch of parts. ill list them.

autolite 25?(i forget) copper sparkplugs.
2 New GT40 gaskets for the upper intake and 1" Heat Spacer.
Pro-m 75mm Mass Air Meter
Ford Hi-Flo 24lb Fuel Injectors
BBK Fuel Pressure Regulator
BBK 190LPH Fuel Pump
MSD Digital 6-Plus Ignition Box
MSD Blaster 2 Ignition Coil
MSD Super Conductor Sparkplug Wires
MSD Pro-Billet Distributor w/ MSD TFI Module, Cap, & Rotor
Powermaster 140Amp Alternator

even after all those new parts... the problem is still there. so it cant be anything i listed. any other ideas?

when i did change the plugs the first time #6 was white.. every other plug was just worn normally. then today. (months later) i checked #6 and its turning white again.

any idea what this problem could be? could it need a valve adjustment? or could it be a bad gasket somewhere? or something alot more severe? .. also when the previous owner bought it. it had a bad oil leak. he fixed that supposovly and then sold the car again for more $ (to me)..

ill put my mod list in the signiture so you guys can check that too.

thanks for the help
Derek

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds like you might have a bad injector, or you might have computer problems. The popping in the header in this case sounds like it's running too lean, as indicated by the plug. With it going on intermitently you might also have a wire going bad in your harness...

I have a similar lean problem right now too, I'm down to trying another computer myself...

thompsonsd said:
Sounds like you might have a bad injector, or you might have computer problems. The popping in the header in this case sounds like it's running too lean, as indicated by the plug. With it going on intermitently you might also have a wire going bad in your harness...

I have a similar lean problem right now too, I'm down to trying another computer myself...

theres no way it can be a bad fuel injector. i JUST put in brand new 24lb injectors. it may be a wire somewhere... where do you think i should check?

jrichker said:
Dump the codes and see what the computer says is wrong…

Here's the link to dump the computer codes with only a jumper wire or paper clip and the check engine light, or test light or voltmeter. I’ve used it for years, and it works great.

See http://www.troublecodes.net/Ford/
OR
See http://www.dalidesign.com/hbook/eectest.html for more descriptive help
OR
See http://www.mustangworks.com/articles/electronics/eec-iv_codes.html

i had my mechanic friend check my codes before i swapped all those parts in... i got the following.

Code 67 - Improper signals are being received from either the Neutral Drive Switch (NDS),Neutral Gear Switch (NGS),Neutral Pressure Switch (NPS),Clutch Switch (CS),Manual Lever Position Sensor or Air Conditioner Clutch.

Code 85 - Canister Purge Solenoid Circuit Failure.

Code 91 - Exhaust Gas Oxygen Sensor signal voltage always indicates lean either during Engine Run Self Test ( Rich Air/Fuel condtions ) or during normal engine operating conditions

Code 185 - Check mass air ground

... oh and i also got brand new bosch o2 sensors in there after these tests

Code 67 -ignore, no effect on performance. It does effect some of the KOEO engine tests that the computer will run if requested.

Code 85 - CANP solenoid (ALL 1989) - Solenoids the Carbon Canister solenoid is inoperative. Check vacuum lines for leaks and cracks. Check electrical wiring for loose connections, damaged wiring and insulation. Check solenoid valve operation by applying 12 volts to the solenoid and blowing through it. Potential vacuum leak if it is not connected or capped if disconnected.

Code 41 or 91 - O2 indicates system lean. Look for a vacuum leak or failing O2 sensor.
The computer sees a lean mixture signal coming from the O2 sensors and tries to compensate by adding more fuel.

Measuring the O2 sensor voltage at the computer will give you a good idea of how well they are working. The computer pins are 29 (LH O2 with a dark green/pink wire) and 43 (RH O2 with a dark blue/pink wire). Use the ground next to the computer to ground the voltmeter.
The O2 sensor ground is in the wiring harness for the fuel injection wiring. I grounded mine to one of the intake manifold bolts

"When the mixture is lean, the exhaust gas has oxygen, about the same amount as the ambient air. So the sensor will generate less than 400 Millivolts. Remember lean = less voltage.

" When the mixture is rich, there's less oxygen in the exhaust than in the ambient air , so voltage is generated between the two sides of the tip. The voltage is greater than 600 millivolts. Remember rich = more voltage.

Here's a tip: the newer the sensor, the more the voltage changes, swinging from as low as 0.1 volt to as much as 0.9 volt. As an oxygen sensor ages, the voltage changes get smaller and slower - the voltage change lags behind the change in exhaust gas oxygen.

Because the oxygen sensor generates its own voltage, never apply voltage and never measure resistance of the sensor circuit. To measure voltage signals, use an analog voltmeter with a high input impedance, at least 10 megohms. Remember, a digital voltmeter will average a changing voltage."
Charles O. Probst, Ford fuel Injection & Electronic Engine control

Code 185 Check Mass Air ground - Mass Air (MAF) output lower than expected, bad gound on the MAF, bad wiring, bad connections.

If the MAF doesn't work correctly, you will get a lean mixture, code 41 or 91, popping and backfiring through the intake. Check the MAF wiring and swap the MAF if you have access to a spare one that matches the injectors.