Engine technical question

I have at my disposal a 1998 Explorer 5.0 drivetrain that can be used in a 1965 mustang. It is the "P" head version with 4 hash marks on the heads. The spark plug angle is different than most all other 289/302/5.0's. I was curious if anyone has used a 5.0 with the "P" heads in a 1965 or 1966 Mustang in particular but the main question is, will
"Tri-Y" exhaust headers fit the "P" heads and in the 65-66 bodies, would the spark plugs be more difficult to change. I hope to gain some information from someone else's
experience because if it is going to be an issue, I'll round up a set of E7T? truck/GT heads or some 1996 Explorer 3 bar heads that DO NOT have the modified plug angle. Thanks in advance for any insight.

• Sponsors (?)

Thank you. I think after reading that link and the fact that I'm using Tri-Y headers, While the engine is getting freshened up, I'll get shad of the "P" heads.
Alot of the Explorer guys like them. Anyone near north Alabama have a good set of either E7T truck heads or F6T (3 hash mark truck and Explorer) heads?
I know of a '67 currently on a lift that I can go see about the space/clearance as it has to do with an AOD/4R70W.

Thank you. I think after reading that link and the fact that I'm using Tri-Y headers, While the engine is getting freshened up, I'll get shad of the "P" heads.
Alot of the Explorer guys like them. Anyone near north Alabama have a good set of either E7T truck heads or F6T (3 hash mark truck and Explorer) heads?
I know of a '67 currently on a lift that I can go see about the space/clearance as it has to do with an AOD/4R70W.
Try the classifieds section. Create a [Want] ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Those might be good if I was building a bracket racing engine. My header choice is the controlling factor. Today I found several original cast iron head options in my area. I'm not able fork out $2600- for aluminum heads. I'll find some E7T or 3 bar GT 40 heads. I may be able to swing a trade for my GT 40 "P" heads.
Thanks for your input. I have 2 years to find some. I have a current 5.0 project nearing completion and the #2 5.0 project is in the acquisition of parts phase. It is 5.0 #3 that I will need the conventional plug angle heads.

Darts SHP 175 heads can be bought for $1080 assembled if you shop around. The 175 is same casting as the pro max 180 and old sve 175 casting, its a good China clone of an edelbrock head, the hydraulic 1.437 spring set up is decent, Pac 135lb @1.800 springs and Manley valves. Sve also has the china afr clones, porter casting assembled for 1k or the CNC 185 for 1299 but sold out fast, probably all ready ordered more. Not sure on the valve train parts but casting is good.

The afr enforcer is a dart clone, if your not after the 1.90 valve head, summit brands the same exact thing, 8mm valves, Pac springs for a bit less and often is available in there 10% off deals. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...th7jpqEDU8GfQMjwu7sBIFOFbsrDTwNBoC624QAvD_BwE

Promaxx is another decent option if you can get them for around $1100 or less.
Lots of budget heads these days.

If you where local I'd give ya a pair of e7's, there door stops in my area, gt40's are not worth what ppl are trying sell cores for now and machine work and valve train prices going up. Edelbrock group getting greedy as hell.