Build Thread Enola- Finishing touches

Ok did a test.

I set the rail up on the injectors and pressurized it. Then setup my injector test rig.
When I energize the injector fuel hits the runner wall and floor then puddles and runs tward the rear of the intake. Even at the best angle I can achieve with the bung placement this happens.

I think I may be able to mitigate this problem using the semi sequential upgrade I have coming and using multiple injection events....

What says the collective should I order the thick gaskets from cometic and fix the port wall while I'm at it?

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Ok did a test.

I set the rail up on the injectors and pressurized it. Then setup my injector test rig.
When I energize the injector fuel hits the runner wall and floor then puddles and runs tward the rear of the intake. Even at the best angle I can achieve with the bung placement this happens.

I think I may be able to mitigate this problem using the semi sequential upgrade I have coming and using multiple injection events....

What says the collective should I order the thick gaskets from cometic and fix the port wall while I'm at it?
Sounds like a good course of action

I snuck out and did this vid real quick. I have a bunch of tree work to do today and need to get on it while its still cool.

View: https://youtu.be/CIEA_wwDT90

Those port floors are really off alot.

OK,...Ive seen it..

it still seems that static testing will exaggerate what is actually happening when there is a hungry cylinder sucking in that mixture versus not having that and allowing gas to just pud-u-late on the walls and intake floor. Get your thick gasket, and see what happens then,..you and I have talked already so, I wont write out whats already been said.

Intake is ripped off and sitting on my work bench. I am considering using LS style injectors as they are shorter and will let me get more angle by not interfering with the blower. I am about to go into hack mode on my intake manifold, i will shoot pictures as I go.

Without significant airflow pushing from behind the injectors, you don't get a true picture of what is happening. A shop vac could provide the airflow needed to complete the picture. However, you would definitely need to use something non flammable for the fluid that the injectors squirt. Otherwise you would have a fire and explosion hazard waiting for a spark to set it off.

Well I started the manifold modifications this morning, using my trusted routerport I cut the bungs down significantly.
20171127_102531.jpg
yes i did this outside in the yard, all those shavings make one helluva mess.

I just left fastenall I needed a 17/32 drill bit for the oring seat and a 5/8 for the edge. Then i simply polish the edge down to achieve a radius that won't cut the o ring. 64....64 freaking dollars for two drillbits I tell yeah man those people will bleed you dry.

I know the injector angle is 15* so that won't be hard to do I just have to cheat the injector angle toward the port. If I can achieve a spray pattern into the port I believe this issue will go away completely.

I managed to get one side done before my wife called me off to work on an arbor project, the required wood for a 9' tall 20' long arbor wall is crazy money.

So in come the crappy pictures.
20171127_145458.jpg
You can see the two cuts I made, to get the injector to reposition in the new cut I had to mill the body down even further.
20171127_152609.jpg
I have significantly cut the body down and redrilled the injector pocket. This proved very difficult because the angle is different. If I go to far I don't have a seat for the o ring. I have managed to get the injector to a verticle position this should get the fuel down into the port.

Finished the second set today, took half the time and came out better. But alas no decent pictures.

Got the intake gaskets in from Summit stock port size to match the manifold but .120 thickness. I don't go into work untill 3pm tomorrow so the install will begin in the morning.

Reactions: 2 users
I have no words for this morning.

:fuss::bang:

The injectors will NOT fit next to the blower at any angle closer than what I originally had just not possible....

So I went with plan phuckit
I filled every bung hole with quicksteel reinforced epoxy. With the low level of methonal in my mix I don't think I will have a problem.

I will redrill the injectors as close as possible to the port wall. Phuck:nonono:

So let me get this straight. The old install had the injectors tipped towards the valve covers at the top,..causing a slight inward angle towards the common plenum under the blower.

Right?

I don't understand where you keep referring to the port wall,....why can't you get the injector in the middle of the port regardless of angle?

Now you're gonna plug the old holes with epoxy.? Bad idea.( it could get rattled loose and sucked into the port.)
Coming from the king of epoxy users, just let me say this about that.........ever hear of a pipe plug?
There's nothing in that hole to stop the epoxy plug from pulling through, or ( under boost) being pushed out. Then how phcked would you be? Big assed hole in the top of the intake port..not good.

You are gonna end up drilling this new hole partially into the patched old hole aren't you ? ( I'd have to think you will) I'd guess that's maybe why a pipe plug would pose a problem then? ( They do make those pipe plugs in aluminum, ya know)

I vote second for using aluminum pipe plugs. Drilling the out straight and tapping them shouldn't be a problem for you.

If you could get the injector higher it may help. Installed with the tip as close to the ceiling as possible. That way there's more of a chance it'll get sucked in the port. Close to the wall may pose a problem with the injector spraying the wall....that'll keep part of the fuel from atomizing properly.

You could always build the ms to do sequential injection. That would stop the fuel pooling because only the needed injector would fire. I have no idea how complicated that would be.

I've been drinkin' already so.....