Build Thread Enola- Finishing touches

Let's change terminology here and say port opening not wall. They will be centered just .25inches closer to the port opening allowing them to be installed at a better angle.

Now the injector holes have a three step taper to them so I highly doubt the epoxy is going to get sucked into the port. Pictures tomorrow.

• Sponsors (?)

Little progress working on the new fuel rail mounts since the injector location was changed.

20171203_190342.jpg
you can see the epoxy held up very well. Injector location was moved a bit over .3 inches outboard and no longer have a negative angle inward of the plenum. Fuel should spray down into the cylinder head port only.

Reactions: 1 users
So much to do this time of year, I'm busy working my shift and prepping for the new job starting in January. This means cracking all my books back open and brushing up on the basics. I think i will be teaching basic electrical theory to start out, I haven't seen that stuff in 7 years.:rolleyes:

I made a small amount of progress and went ahead and installed the manifold and blower. I did not have time to retest the injector rain was moving in fast.
20171208_130350.jpg
with the .120 gaskets I still have a lip at the bottom but it is very minimal, .130 gaskets would have made it perfect but they don't make those.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm just glad that some bodies doing something...

And on that note...

Anybody seen Dave? @Davedacarpainter

I think it's been two weeks since he's said anything on both web forums he frequents...
You out there Dave? You ok?
I’m among the living, mid-January will begin busy time again for me.

Reactions: 2 users
12 12 17 The new D Day.

The intake is on, the new plugs are in....

I added a front crossover to the fuel rail while I had it on the work bench. So that's a bonus.

Just have to route spark plug wires and put the belt on.

:rock:

Let's hope it works this time.

I will be recording the retune done on the build this time. With my commentary as I go thru it, mistakes and all. I'm warning you however I talk to myself while I tune:O_o:

Reactions: 6 users
I'm just glad that some bodies doing something...

And on that note...

Anybody seen Dave? @Davedacarpainter

I think it's been two weeks since he's said anything on both web forums he frequents...
You out there Dave? You ok?

If I remember right, from my own thread, @a91what , @karthief , and a few others are not battling this fun thing the rest of us call "winter." Not sure why I decided to marry a girl from Iowa instead of moving back down to TX for college. Oh yeah, we met in high school and shes hot. Thats why. Now winter is my punishment for being shallow. Dang, it all makes sense now. Everyone carry on with your 65-70* days up in here. Progess away.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm going to reach back a little to Mike''s post about epoxy and say, "Wut he said".

You're going to heat cycle the crap out of that thing then hit it over and over with boost from a PD blower.

What could go wrong? :shrug:

1813aqov5wc2jjpg.jpg

Update.

:nono: leaky fuel rail....

Instead of fighting with the tig welder I decided to solder the fuel rail. It went well I did it from the Inside of the rail...

Q tip to apply flux to inside of rail joint.
Then heat with map torch 25-30 seconds
Apply solder by inserting it into the nipple I welded on... let plenty of it flow.
Spin rail in hand then tip the opening down to drop the excess solder out...

Clean as best I can then test....

With a makeshift rail mount to omit the blower I got it to hold 60psi steady...
Leakdown testing now. 20mins to go

Edit

20 mins later still over 40psi. I think its safe to say I'm good

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Ingredients for making a car fire.....
#1. Use epoxy as an o-ring sealing base for bottom of injector. Conceal...
#2. Subject injector base to exposure of positive and negative pressures..
#3. Use solder to fix fuel leak subjected to heat, and pressure....expose to heat and pressure
#4. Shake mildly, but repeatedly........

Wait.....

Viola!

c1920x1080_18.jpg

All of the thrifty, creative, and brilliant qualities in your build are all cancelled in an instant the minute wet gas is sprayed on an exhaust header. (Then all you have is molten, sooty, smelly fungoo)
You might ask yourself why you're the first person to fix a fuel rail with solder instead of what ever it needs to be done right.
Now I don't know,...maybe shops use solder to fix factory fuel rails..But then again, maybe they limit their liability, and just get a new one.

Ingredients for making a car fire.....
#1. Use epoxy as an o-ring sealing base for bottom of injector. Conceal...
#2. Subject injector base to exposure of positive and negative pressures..
#3. Use solder to fix fuel leak subjected to heat, and pressure....expose to heat and pressure
#4. Shake mildly, but repeatedly........

Wait.....

Viola!

c1920x1080_18.jpg

All of the thrifty, creative, and brilliant qualities in your build are all cancelled in an instant the minute wet gas is sprayed on an exhaust header. (Then all you have is molten, sooty, smelly fungoo)
You might ask yourself why you're the first person to fix a fuel rail with solder instead of what ever it needs to be done right.
Now I don't know,...maybe shops use solder to fix factory fuel rails..But then again, maybe they limit their liability, and just get a new one.
This is the method used for diesel fuel rail repairs, they run alot higher pressure than I do.
Sweated together like copper pipe

As for the injectors, people jb weld bungs in all the time it's in the instructions in thepacage the bungs came in. I am just being slightly more creative is all.

This is the method used for diesel fuel rail repairs, they run alot higher pressure than I do.
Sweated together like copper pipe

As for the injectors, people jb weld bungs in all the time it's in the instructions in thepacage the bungs came in. I am just being slightly more creative is all.
Calm down,....I'm just playin.